High Scores

Ivy followed Peeta on their second day of training

Ivy followed Peeta on their second day of training. He decided to climb nets and listen to Haymitch's advice of not showing their talent. Ivy watched carefully as he climbed halfway before his hands started to ache and before he could adjust himself he slipped and fell to the ground. Ivy gasped and ran to his side.

"You okay Peeta?"

The blonde flipped over and met Ivy's eyes. "I'm good." He grunted. "Just a little winded." He smiled.

She offered her hand and helped him up. She looked at the careers who were smirking with an evil glint in their eye as if they were gonna pounce on Peeta and eat him. "Look, throw that metal thing over there." She nodded over at the heavy-weight balls.

"What?" He asked before following her eyes and looking at the balls right in front of the game makers. "No. Haymitch says we're not supposed to show our skills-"

"I don't care what Haymitch said. Those guys are looking at you like you're meek. Throw it. Show them what you're made of."

Hesitantly Peeta walked over to the rack and grabbed the heaviest ball. Ivy followed behind as he walked to an area where he wouldn't hit people. He looked at the careers and then at everyone who was watching nervously. He stopped let out a breath and braced himself as he flung the ball into a wall of spears leaving a crater in the wall.

The tributes watching nodded in approval showing a form of respect for the man's skill.

Ivy smiled and gave the boy a high-five. "See? Now that's what I'm talking about Peeta bread!" She punched his shoulder and he laughed bashfully staring off at her once again as she turned and walked to the rock climbing station to practice.

••

Ivy stepped away from the station to find Peeta and noticed him at the station with trees. She walked over and saw his very detailed hand-painted to look like bark.

"How did you do that?"

"Hey," Peeta said as he looked up to see Ivy. "I uh.. I used to decorate some of the cakes down at the bakery until I got some paints and I was able to practice. I'll show you." He walked over and put his hand on the tree showing the blend. "See?"

"Wow. That's cool."

"Yeah." He smiled in thanks. "I think you have a follower."

She looked over and saw Rue. She smiled at the girl and waved as she disappeared.

"Can you show me how you do it?" Ivy asked turning to Peeta.

Surprised, his eyes widened but he quickly agreed and showed her the paints and tools he used.

••

Ivy stopped by the fire station where Rue sat and started to make a fire. Ivy grabbed her own supplies and joined the little girl. She couldn't get a spark and asked Rue how she got a flame.