CHAPTER 9 : Karna

Start from the beginning

He stepped away, away into the deep jungle. I saw him fleeing until he faded into the deep forest. The silence started to haunt me, gurudev stood in between with his eyes full of fury, it felt like the rain of anger was about to shower upon Duryodhan and me, my heart raced, and goosebumps emerged all over my body. Bharata Yudhishtira glanced at me with dissatisfied eyes, I found it hard to even utter a word. Duryodhan stood there with his brothers fearless and unmoved, he folded his arms and stood freely, taking the backing of the fencing. Eventually, Gurudev stepped away without saying a word, followed by everyone getting back into the ashram for lunch.

* * *

Walking in the deep, dim forest where little rays fell upon the grass. The enchanting forest started to interest me. I feel bad for Karn, I wonder where he had gone. The earthen pots I carried along to fetch water from the lake, felt heavier. Stepping on the wet soft grass near the lake, I heard the soothing water felling from a little elevation, creating a small waterfall.

Sitting down on the grass, I fetched water from the pots, keeping them aside I sat in solitary silence. Catching a glimpse of the little details of the forest. The soothing sound of the birds subdued me, and the water flowing aside made me wanna sleep there. I folded myself into a soft hug, caressing myself gradually.

A sudden sound of something falling disturbed me, I instantly looked to the source of the sound, only to find Karna standing there, with his bows and arrows. He looked at me with confusion, we both didn't expect to see each other another time for he might hadn't even noticed me in the morning.

"I'm sorry Rajkumari, I did not intend to disturb you." let out Karna looking down at me, as I sat on the grass.

"No that's okay! I was wondering where you might have gone." I spoke out. He glanced back at me, as he was almost on the urge to walk away, he stood silent for a moment, making me rethink the question I suddenly put up at him.

"oh-if I could, I probably have gone somewhere far away from this place," he said sitting down on the rock beside, him and placing his bow and arrows down on the ground. I turned around to face him, we sat at a distance from each other, and the only other sound we could hear was the flowing water and the chirping of birds.

"and thank you for taking my side in the morning, I-I appreciate that," said Karn with a forceful smile.

"Oh, but why you didn't leave-?" I questioned. He mashed his lips a bit, darting towards me and folding his arms generally.

"where should I go-the problem remains the same everywhere, being a Suta Putra is majorly affecting me," he said in a low and disappointed voice.

"hmm, I see- but why do you've to tell your gotra everywhere you go?" I questioned raising my head to look at him.

"what do you mean-I should hide my identity?" he said darting at me with a stunned retort.

"yes-why not? Nobody asked me my identity because they knew through my appearance that I was a Rajkumari or a Kshatriya. But let me tell you a secret I'm a Brahmin." I said with a large smile on my face and waving like a small kid in front of him.

"What-and nobody knows it-?" he said with narrow eyes and a smile, on his face, it seemed like he was getting curious about my conversation, as he got up from the rock he sat upon and sat down on the ground, the same level as mind, folding his legs and sitting crossed legged.

"yes-who cares! You can easily make a disguise of a Brahmin or a Kshatriya, nobody would know." I said whispering a little and speaking in a sardonic tone.

"hmm, I see. But I'm not getting into your trap, Rajkumari," he said with laughter. I felt happy to see him laughing at least I tried to reduce his pain and suffering.

"I'm not joking Karn," I said in a solemn tone.

"Guru Drona was the finest guru of Aryavarth, I don't see anyone apart from him to learn," he said once again in a deep and weighty voice, his eyes reflected the pain I saw, but he completely tried to hide it behind his forceful smile.

"that's nothing like that-who taught Guru Drona-? Any idea?" I doubted, I folded my legs when the jingling sound of my anklets filled the surroundings.

"Rishi Bharadwaj and Maharshi Parshuram," he said with a rash of light of hope in his eyes, he instantly stood up fetching his bow and arrow from the ground and a large smile emerged over his face, I looked at him with disarray and wide eyes.

"I know what I have to do now!" he said.

"what-" Before I could speak he cut me off.

"How can I say thanks to you? Where can I meet you again?" he said walking towards me. I got up from the grass, looking at him with awe and novelty.

"yes-of course. take this bracelet from me, in case you ever forget me." I said getting off an emerald bracelet from my wrist through my eyes I asked him to bring his hand forward and I tied it over to his wrist, i could feel his gaze upon me as I tied it to his rough and hard wrist, his veins were visible and touching his solid hands made me feel weak, his gaze was fixed upon me, a soothing waft of air blew through the area making my curls flow along.

"Here, you go Karn. All the best-" I said giving him a serene smile, he was close enough to me, and I could smell him, I felt tiny in front of him he wasn't that old probably five to six years older than me. I felt a sense of security around him. We stood there for a moment in stillness, and gradually before he broke it off.

"I never asked your name-" he said, before I could speak a voice came over from behind. I veered around back. Only to see Ashwattama standing there, he folded his arms and his face clearly showed that he had once again in wrath, his daily routine. I felt weak seeing Os
Ashawattama out of nowhere, I suddenly felt fear arise and my heart beat raised, what if he told Gurudev about me-? He already was disappointed by me, but not once again.

"May I know what you exactly doing here-" I said clutching his jaw and speaking profoundly to me!

"Why should I tell you everything?" I questioned in the same retort as his, Karna stood there looking at Ashwattama in surprise. Ashwattama walked towards me at a fast pace, standing in front of me, he began to speak.

"let's go back," he said holding my wrist firmly this time while making intense eye contact with Karn.

"Leave me-Ashwattama," I said forcefully removing my hand from his grip. He looked at me, with relaxed eyes which was very rare, perhaps, for the very first time in all of these days. He brought his hand forward directing it towards the path of the ashram and asking me to walk. I looked at Karn for the last time, for I might not see him again Ashwattama carried the pots along and I strolled into the forest, away into the gurukul while Ashwattama followed me back. And Karn stood there motionless with a serene smile spreaded upon his lips and my emerald bracelet shining on his wrist, reflecting through the lake beside, something shined too but i guess that could not be seen from the eyes.

 And Karn stood there motionless  with a serene smile spreaded upon his lips and my emerald bracelet shining on his wrist, reflecting through the lake beside, something shined too but i guess that could not be seen from the eyes

Face claims ??

Q: who's gonna look more cute together- karn and Nihira or Ashwattama and Nihira?

Please vote comment and share💌

Thank you so much for reading :)