XXV. SILENCE OF THE MATRIARCH

En başından başla

Opposite him, on the wall on the right, showed Antares' favourite hero, Cú Chulainn, son of Lugh and a demigod. He was said to be a fearless and deadly warrior, unmatched and unbreakable. The carving closest to the door portrayed Cú Chulainn in his youth slaying the vicious hound of Culann, earning him the title "Hound of Culann." In the middle, the image of Cú Chulainn healing the wounds of an old crone, who later revealed herself as Morrigan, goddess of fate and death. In turn, Morrigan gifted Cú Chulainn with the prophecy of his death. The furthest carving was just that, Cú Chulainn's body tied to a standing stone using his own entrails with a raven (Morrigan herself) on his shoulder proclaiming his death. Even dead, Cú Chulainn was able to cut the hand off of his arch nemesis, who tried to take his head.

Finally, the ceiling hailed a single image of Morrigan, arms outstretched and screaming. Her cries drove the Tuatha Dé Danann to bloodlust, helping them to win the battle of Moytura and drive the opposing army into the sea.

Moving forward, Antares ascended the grand staircase, the railing cool beneath his touch despite the sconces of open flame that lit the way. Unlike Hogwarts, Mercier Manor, or even Grimmauld Place, no portraits lined the walls, keeping the manor quiet and unassuming. Royal blue carpet led the way to each floor, where Antares made his way up to the second story— the one with the bedrooms.

In the east wing, he found the last door in the corridor. Antares pushed the door open with a gentle creak, revealing a spacious room bathed in the soft glow of candlelight. The air was infused with the scent of dried herbs and lavender— her favourite. The walls were rung with cream-coloured velvet curtains, and a large four-poster bed dominated the center of the room, a window nearby shining moonlight across the drapes. Resting peacefully in the bed lay Marissa Kelly, the matriarch of the Kelly family, but more importantly, Mum.

Placing himself in the plush wingback armchair he had left at her bedside, Antares was careful not to jostle the smooth duvet. Her condition hadn't changed much in the time that he was gone. She had been sleeping when he left, much like she was now. On her hand, Antares caught the glint of his family's signet ring, a bronze band embossed with the crest of Clann Kelly.

Antares turned to look at the assortment of balms and healing potions Fizkey left on the nightstand, becoming interested in a moving photograph that caught his eye. It was of him and his mother on his eleventh birthday. A younger Antares smiled widely, his messy black hair falling into his eyes while Marissa crouched beside him. They were both holding his Hogwarts acceptance letter to the camera.

A melancholy smile eased its way onto his face. It had been such a happy moment. He'd been so excited to go to school where his father had. Antares reached for the frame, tracing the edges gently. A sigh escaped him.

"I saw where he grew up, you know?" Antares said softly. "You were right; I thought it was dreadful."

The room seemed to absorb his words, the only response being the faint sputtering of the sconces.

Antares continued, unperturbed by the silence, "Sirius gave me his room, and it was small and cramped and filled with so much Death Eater paraphernalia that it almost felt like a prison." He shook his head. "It was so different from how you described him."

"Everyone at Hogwarts always whispered about how terrible the Black family was, so I tried to be different, but it never mattered. After seeing Grimmauld Place, I don't think I can tell anyone else about him," Antares said. "Of course, Lupin knows now. He took a poorly educated guess and thought you and Sirius were together."

Antares set the photograph back on the nightstand, his gaze returning to his mother's peaceful form. "And... I told Vita," he admitted. "I had to. She didn't judge me for it, and, for some reason, that makes her different. I can't figure out if it's a good different or a complicated different, but Vita... she gets it, you know? She doesn't care about my family name or what my father did. It's refreshing and unnerving all at once."