THIRTY-SEVEN: Sano Manjiro (Four)

Beginne am Anfang

Without a second thought, all of them forced their battered bodies off the ground and dragged themselves away in staggering steps including the guy I strangled earlier.

Once I made sure they were finally out of sight, I walked toward Y/N's house and called her on the phone about my sudden visit to her place. I saw Y/N hurriedly step out of her house and looked rather confused to see my presence by the gate. I acted like nothing happened as I greeted her with a cheerful smile. I never bothered to tell her about the enemy's kidnap attempt on her to prevent her from worrying. Seeing her pretty face was enough to lift my dark mood.

I stayed with her for a few more minutes until it was time for me to leave. "I'll be going now, Y/N."

"I wish for your gang's victory," Y/N said with sincerity. Yet, she couldn't hide the concerned look on her face. "But please do be careful, Mikey. Don't you dare die, okay? Or I will never forgive you."

I gave her a promise of reassurance and begrudgingly bid her goodbye before driving off the streets. I arrived at the abandoned car lot just in time for the battle with Ken-chin and the others already present at the scene.

"Where have you been, Mikey? It's almost the start of the fight," Ken-chin said as soon as I approached the gang.

"Sorry, Ken-chin. I went off somewhere else first. Is everyone here?"

"You're the only one we are waiting for."

I nodded and turned to face all the members of Toman. With a stern look, I shouted, "Everyone, let's take Baji back!!!"

"HELL YEAH!!!"

Our gang entered the battleground once the large metallic gates slid open. Dozens of delinquents from different factions gathered around the area to spectate the fight with Hansen-kun from the Ikebukuro Criminal Black Members acted as our overseer. Representatives from each gang involved, Ken-chin and Kazutora, stepped up to decide the arrangement of the battle.

On the contrary, things escalated right after Ken-chin stated our gang's condition regarding Baji which irked Kazutora and even punched Hansen-kun for interfering. With his provocation, both gangs were ready to engage in an all-out war and thus, our battle against the Valhalla began.

While everybody was busy fighting against one another, I chased after Kazutora up to a mountain of junk cars as I wanted to confront him about his planned abduction of Y/N. But I got ambushed by two of his comrades and tried to fend them off first. Once I thought I nearly succeeded, these bastards held me in place and Kazutora struck me with a metal pipe, making me lose my balance. My body fell due to the strong impact of that severe attack which left me almost rendered unconscious.

"MIKEY!!!"

I faintly heard Ken-chin's frantic voice calling out to me. A sudden image of Y/N's worried face came across my mind and I remembered the promise I made to her, giving me enough strength to resume the fight. Adrenaline rushed through my veins as I shot my eyes wide open and tried to get onto my feet. Glancing up at Kazutora, I asked him if he saw me as his enemy to which he replied with a yes.

"I will eliminate anyone standing in my way. Did you know, Mikey? Killing people makes one a bad guy. But killing enemies makes one a hero," Kazutora said dramatically as he climbed to the top of the junk cars and looked down at me.

His philosophical words didn't make any sense. He sounded rather delusional with his nonsense babbling. I could feel his deep hatred toward me through his continuous attacks with his pipe while I was being subdued again by his comrades. However, the more he madly talked about killing enemies to become a hero, the angrier I felt.