VI: Chapter Six

3 Years Ago

3 Years Ago

We headed towards the forest, deeper and deeper. The couple sitting in the passenger seat had started to kiss each other. Ariel was on top of Mark circling her hips repeatedly.

In the convent we learnt that sex was only for reproduction I believed that until I was 13 when we had sex education and they taught us about condoms. I couldn't wrap my head around why they were necessary when the whole point of sex was to make a baby. When I went home that night I had ended up spilling my guts to Damon about how none of it made sense. That had been an interesting conversation. Then when I was older there had been that one night when he had given me a more physical education, I know sex can be for pleasure but it was still strange to see people actively going at it in public.

"There's plenty more of that where we're going." Damon chuckled noticing what I was focused on. I went to question him when I spotted a massive stone structure ahead of me.

Damon pulled his car into the side and parked quickly, everyone began to pile out but Ariel and Mark were still going at it. Damon reached over and pulled Mark's ear.

"Absolutely no sex in my car. Get out." Damon's voice was so scary they jumped out immediately. I snickered. "What's so funny?"

"They're so scared of you." He smiled in return and opened the car door he helped me out of the seat before getting out himself.

I tilted my head back, following the spears of the old, abandoned church peeking out through the bare autumn tree branches as it sat broken, dead, and silent in the woods.

St. Killian's. I'd never been here, but I knew it from the pictures I'd seen in the newspaper over the years. It was an old landmark, dating back to the 1700s when Thunder Bay was first settled.

In 1938, however, it suffered structural damage due to a hurricane, and it closed, never reopening.

Everyone must've gone inside.

The brisk October air hit my legs, and I felt the brittle fallen leaves brush against my bare ankles. I was in my school skirt and flats, my legs completely bare, and chills broke out all over my body.

"I should have brought a change of clothes." I shivered in the cold. Damon wrapped his arm around me and began to lead us towards St Killian's.

"You'll warm quickly." The massive, wooden doors of the cathedral were boarded shut, Damon rounded the corner, heading to the side. The grass was overgrown with weeds, and stones from the foundation were dislodged and broken, lying along the cathedral walls.

Music poured out of the broken stained glass windows.

"I wanna see." My curiosity was killing me. Devil's Night was infamous in Thunder Bay and I wanted to know what all the fuss was about. I reached up, grabbed the bottom of the windowsill and stepped up on one of the three-foot-high arches carved into the bottom of the church wall. Damon held my waist and helped me up so I could see properly, I peered into the church and let out a small smile.