Chapter 3 - Taking It To A New Degree

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

She doesn't think Anakin knew she was alive either, and she doesn't know what that will mean now.

"Then we've got to be ready to fight," Ezra asserts, a fiery determination in his voice that she often only sees in ones so young.

"We must find the strength to fight," Kanan responds, "But the greater strength is knowing when not to fight." Sometimes, she can tell that he has... questions about this, but with so many other Jedi fighting for the same thing, he doesn't feel it's right to stop, either.

"And we'll be beside you, either way," Hera adds as she and Zeb enter the cockpit. Chopper probably would've, too, if he weren't out in space, fixing the Ghost.

Ahsoka nods in thanks, turning to look out at the stars again, wondering and longing. "I'll look into this more and see what I can find."

That's the most she can tell the four members of the Ghost. For now, at least.

But she needs to get into contact with one of her contacts.

***

The translucent figure on the other end of the coded transmission is hooded, concealing any features. The voice is intentionally distorted, too – in the same way Ahsoka used to do that when talking to Hera before her identity was revealed – but Ahsoka still knows who she is.

Aayla Secura, one of the top members in the Jedi part of the rebellion network. Ahsoka doesn't know specifically who else is above that because it's safer that way.

"What is it?" Aayla asks.

"We confronted another Sith," Ahsoka replies, keeping her voice steady, despite her wild emotions, "I sensed him, and I believe he is... Anakin."

There's a long moment of silence over the line. "Was he after you specifically? Or was it simply a brief confrontation?" Aayla asks.

Ahsoka expected shock, but that's not what she's seeing. Did the other Jedi already know? "He was after all of us. But he sensed me, too, for... the first time, I believe. Did you already know he was alive?" She understands the need to compartmentalize information sometimes, but this? Yes, it would be better for most of the younger Jedi fighting not to know that someone like Anakin turned on them – it would severely affect morale – but he was her master and at least she has the right to know something like that.

"We suspected," the reply comes statically over the line. "If anyone confirmed with certainty, I never heard."

She sucks in a breath, the stinging betrayal, hurt, and confusion threatening to overwhelm her. "If he's against us, that will make defeating the Empire far more difficult. Should I look into him more?" Not that she isn't intending to, anyway. She has to understand what's going on. It... doesn't make sense.

"Go ahead," Aayla replies, "We sent a bounty hunter after him and the Inquisitors recently, and she has... vanished. But Command has other plans in the works. Any information would be vital."

Why does she have the feeling 'other plans' might mean something a little more significant than what Aayla is saying? Probably – hopefully – it does, because this fight needs to end eventually, and there's no sign of that.

But right now, Ahsoka just wants answers. "I'll update you with what I can find," she confirms, and Aayla cuts the connection there, leaving her alone again.

She's used to being alone, but it's a sudden, gnawing ache flooding her with the cutting knowledge that the one person she always thought would be by her side is fighting against them. And she has no idea why.