Chapter 70: A Simple Misunderstanding

Start from the beginning

"Hello, Yu Shen?"

Yun Luo's voice echoed from the phone, prompting the Omega in He Yu's embrace to slightly lift his head.

In a soft yet somewhat helpless tone, He Yu remarked, "You remain unmoved by my words, but you're intrigued by others?"

"What?" The person on the other end seemed confused.

"Weren't we both at a friend's gathering last night? Can you confirm I didn't get involved with any Omega?"

"Huh? Why the sudden question..." The voice on the phone hesitated, "Did... Nan Yi misunderstand something?"

"Yes, he's convinced I cheated on him. He's here looking all upset, and he won't believe my explanations. I had to call you for clarification," He Yu's tone carried an undertone of hurt, something uncommon for an alpha.

Nan Yi's head jerked up, looking at He Yu in disbelief.

Why would he tell someone else about this?

"Nan Yi, are you there?" Yun Luo inquired.

Despite feeling embarrassed, Nan Yi replied softly, "I'm here."

"Nan Yi, Yu Shen isn't the type with a messy personal life. He didn't 'cheat' last night, but..."

Not only did Nan Yi hold his breath, but He Yu also became anxious at Yun Luo's pause, listening intently.

"But, He Yu lost a card game last night and was dared to let an omega kiss his cheek for a few seconds."

"Afterward, He Yu was too drunk to think straight. Mumbling about not wanting to return home, fearing it might upset you, I took the initiative to book a hotel room for him."

"Did you misunderstand him because of this? His assistant was with him last night too. You could also ask him for clarification."

Yun Luo's words echoed in Nan Yi's ears as he stared blankly at the phone screen.

He Yu, embracing him, finally exhaled in relief.

"If you won't trust me, at least trust Yun Luo."

Nan Yi was somewhat dazed. He did trust Yun Luo, but the photo was sent by Feng Feng. Was it just an unfortunate coincidence?

It does seem... plausible.

"Yu Shen, if there's nothing else, I need to go. I'm quite busy."

"Alright."

After the call ended, the Omega in his arms remained silent.

He Yu pulled him closer, looking deep into Nan Yi's slightly red-rimmed eyes.

"Are you still upset?"

Nan Yi turned his face away, not replying.

He was starting to believe, but the thought of that omega kissing He Yu still infuriated him.

"I promise I won't do this again. I'll always keep you informed."

Nan Yi turned to look at him: "But he did kiss you."

"It was only that once. Because it involved a business partner and a friend, and I lost the card game first. I immediately went to the restroom to wash my face afterward."

Nan Yi remained silent.

"Darling, I promise it won't happen again. Please believe me." He Yu gently cradled his face, his gaze sincere and focused.

Nan Yi pouted, "You better keep your word."

With emotion, He Yu placed a tender kiss on his forehead, "I promise, I'll keep it."

Having finally pacified his omega, He Yu felt a weight lifted off his chest.

"Have you eaten?" He Yu asked again.

"No."

"Let's go get something to eat then."

"Okay."

Having felt emotionally unstable the whole day, Nan Yi felt slightly embarrassed.

However, that night, he still gave He Yu a playful slap on the face.

With one cheek reddened, the alpha kept soothing him with gentle words.

Fortunately, the misunderstanding was quickly put behind them. Nan Yi's mood improved, and He Yu continued caring for him as always.

Lately, Nan Yi had been feeling sleepy every day, lounging at home.

But he seemed to have forgotten an essential detail.

While omegas don't have their heat during specific periods, alphas aren't affected in the same way. Their heightened sensitivity arrives punctually every month.

On this day, Nan Yi was again curled up on the sofa, hugging an oddly-shaped frog plushie that He Yu had brought him from work.

The frog's head was squished beneath Nan Yi's, making the already odd-looking toy even more distorted.

He sat near the front door, lost in thought.

By mid-afternoon, a thick blanket of dark clouds suddenly appeared against the azure sky. In an instant, strong winds began to blow, causing trees outside the living room to lean.

Heavy rain poured furiously, battering the ground.

The downpour lasted until evening, making it hard to tell whether it was the approaching night or the thickening clouds that darkened the sky.

Amidst the raging storm, the atmosphere held a surprising chill.

When the butler hurried out with an umbrella, Nan Yi knew He Yu had returned.

He swiftly stood up, rushing to wait beside the living room door.

The car didn't drive straight to the garage but halted at the front door. As He Yu stepped out, he didn't wait for the butler but quickly approached Nan Yi in a few strides.

In those few steps, a dampness had already settled on the alpha's shoulders.

"He Yu..."

He Yu gently embraced Nan Yi's waist, burying his head in the crook of his neck, where a cold touch emanated.

Nan Yi rested his head on He Yu's shoulder, a faint minty scent drifting into his nostrils.

"Let me take in some of your pheromones, Nan Yi."

The deep, husky voice was undeniably seductive.