Chapter 69: He Didn't Come Home All Night

Start from the beginning

Eventually, Yin Feng reluctantly left first. Nan Yi only lingered for a few more minutes before heading home, making sure he was back before He Yushen finished work.

However, the always punctual alpha hadn't returned by 8 PM, even though he usually came home by 7.

Assuming that He Yushen was in a meeting, Nan Yi waited for him on the couch.

9 PM, and He Yushen was still not back.

10 PM, still no sign of him.

It wasn't until midnight, just as Nan Yi was dozing off on the couch, that he remembered to call He Yushen.

The phone rang for a long time without an answer.

Wearily, Nan Yi dragged himself upstairs.

After a quick wash-up and shower, he snuggled into bed and wrapped himself up.

Without He Yushen around, he unabashedly played on his phone for a while. Eventually, as sleepiness overtook him once more, he turned off his phone and drifted off to sleep.

Nan Yi initially thought it was just an ordinary day, assuming He Yushen had just worked a little late.

Had it not been for the call from Yin Feng in the morning, he might not have given a second thought to the alpha who didn't come home last night.

However, Yin Feng sent Nan Yi a photo, and the man in it was He Yushen.

Under the dim lights, he sat with a few other alphas in a private room. Each alpha had an omega in their arms, all except Yun Luo, whom he hadn't seen in a month.

The man seated at the center of the sofa, though his hands weren't wrapped around the scantily clad omega, still made Nan Yi's expression change.

Because the omega beside him was leaning over, planting a kiss on He Yushen's face.

In the dim ambiance, those distinct black and white pupils didn't reveal any emotions, with one eye obscured by the omega's head.

"Yi Yi, Yi Yi."

The call hadn't ended. After waiting for what felt like ages and hearing no response, Yin Feng called out to him with growing concern.

"I'm here."

When Nan Yi spoke, even though he felt calm, his voice was hoarse and shaky.

Taking a deep breath to regain his composure, Nan Yi continued, "Feng Feng, who took this?"

"Last night, Shanyao got drunk. I went to pick him up and passed by this room... I just happened to see this scene, but I didn't look closely since Shanyao was really out of it."

"I see, Feng Feng. Thanks for letting me know. I'll hang up now."

The season of persistent spring rains had passed. Now in the heat of summer, sudden downpours would occur. Yesterday was clear, but today it rained heavily.

Summer rain is clear and piercing, not shrouded in mist, often catching one off guard.

Much like today's call and photo, disrupting the tranquility that Nan Yi had maintained for months.

With the rain in the summer, the entire day felt gloomy.

Nan Yi dozed off on the living room sofa several times, and by evening, He Yushen returned home punctually.

He Yushen finished work on time today. Upon entering, he noticed Nan Yi, lost in thought on the sofa, not even wearing socks on his delicate feet.

He wondered what the young one was pondering, as he remained lost in thought even as He approached.

He sat down next to the Omega and took hold of those bare feet.

"Nan Yi," He Yushen gently called.

Sensitive, Nan Yi's feet jerked back.

"Why aren't you wearing socks? Your feet are cold."

He Yushen took hold of Nan Yi's feet again, his brows slightly furrowed.

Nan Yi, staring at the alpha beside him with a raspy voice, asked, "He Yu Shen, what were you doing last night?"

He Yu Shen replied with a light chuckle, "What's wrong? Not used to sleeping without me by your side?"

The eyes, filled with amusement, were a stark contrast to when they appeared emotionless and dim.

As Nan Yi looked at He Yu Shen this way, he felt that he had never truly fathomed his thoughts.

"He Yu Shen, what were you really doing last night? Do you truly care for me?"

Nan Yi's voice was soft and husky, as though he was both accusing and merely inquiring.

He Yu Shen fixed his gaze on Nan Yi's slightly scattered eyes, lifting an arm to gently caress his cheek.

With utter sincerity, he replied, "Last night, a colleague invited me over for a get-together."

Nan Yi pulled away from He Yu Shen's touch, pressing, "Was it an Omega?"

"No."