Revealed

Sophie gasped and let go of the streetlamp as she was crouched on the ground in Athena's arms. Luckily, they were far enough away that it crashed hard against the ground and not on them. Athena breathed heavily, holding Sophie protectively. Her brown wig was lost somewhere near the museum, so her silver hair fell over her shoulders.

"Are you okay?" Athena asked, helping Sophie stand and looking over her body, checking over her injuries.

"Who are you?" Sophie asked; her voice shook.

"How did you two do that?" Fitz Vacker asked as Athena stepped away from the two of them. Fitz grabbed her wrists, not letting her escape like she had planned. "Are you an elf too?" 

Athena doesn't open her mouth which was answer enough for Fitz. 

"Both of you two have weird eyes for an elf?"

"Elves?" Sophie asked, touching her eyes self-consciously.

Fitz looked around as a commotion began to build around them. "We should get out of here."

Athena allowed him to pull the both of them into an alleyway. He asked Sophie for directions, and she pointed to the San Diego Zoo. Smart girl, Athena thought for a second, but worry replaced all other thoughts.

She was so screwed. Being chewed out was the nicest thing that Mr. Forkle would do when he found out she'd been caught. Her existence was completely hidden unlike Sophie's. Some people knew about Sophie outside of the Black Swan. 

They arrived in the zoo's parking lot. There were a ton of people walking around the three of them. No one said anything for a moment, trying to get a grasp of the situation. Athena concentrated on how to drop the news to Mr. Forkle, Sophie focused on the millions of questions about the crazy and cute boy in front of her, and Fitz seemed to be mulling over the fact that he found one more elf than he had been expecting.

Fitz shook his head, clearing his thoughts and glared at Athena. His hand gripped her wrist, eyeing her suspiciously. "Who are you?"

As Sophie asked, "What do you mean elves? Why have you been looking for me?"

Fitz ignored his own question to explain elves and the hidden society they had built to Sophie. Athena half listened. She knew a lot about the elves and their abilities, but had never actually been to any of the cities. The part that interested Athena was how he had and his family been looking for Sophie for twelve years, but he was only to observe and not actually talk to her.

"So I'm an elf?" asked Sophie incredulously. She obviously didn't fully believe him. "Am I supposed to help Frodo destroy the ring and save middle earth? Or do I have to make toys at the north pole?"

Athena chuckled under her breath. 

"Would it help if I showed you?" Fitz asked with a sigh.

"Oh sure —this ought to be good." Sophie folded her arms as he pulled out his pathfinder. "Is that your magic wand."

"Wait! Don't take me with you," Athena said nervously drawing attention to herself again as she tries to pull her wrist away from his arm.

Fitz looked at her awfully coldly. It was strikingly different than the kind and understanding look he had been giving Sophie. "I still have questions for you, so you'll be going with us." He turned back to Sophie whose eyes were wide as she took in my silver hair, and the eyes covered by my brown contacts.

"Let's go. Both of you need to hold hands and concentrate on only this. It could go bad if you think of anything else." He gave a hard look at Athena.

Sophie reluctantly took Athena's hand who tightly gripped her hand back. She looked up at Athena, trying to figure out where she's seen her before. 

"One," Fitz said calmly.

Athena closed her eyes as the sensation of light leaping covered her body. Sophie's hand tightened around Athena's as she also closed her eyes.

"Two."

Sophie clung to Athena.

"Three"

Athena had never traveled to the elven lands before, but light leaped around the human world plenty of times. She kept her expression blank as she looked at the scenery around her. Sophie's mouth was wide open as she also experienced this for the first time.

Trees so tall that they mingled with the clouds lined a beautiful river. It was so clear that it reflected the sky like a piece of glass. Across the river, gaudy crystal castles were bunched together, and to the right, buildings of many colors made a large city. It was gorgeous, but Athena kept her face passive.

"Where are we?" Sophie asked gripping Athena's hand tightly."

"Eternalia," Athena whispered. She had only ever seen pictures.

Fitz glared at Athena. "The humans call it Shangri-la."

"Shangri-la is real." Sophie shook her head.

"All of the lost cities are real. Though the humans rarely get anything right." Fitz explained.

Athena was going to be so dead when she got back. She was never supposed to be here, but she was supposed to protect Sophie. Sophie and Fitz continued talking for a while, while Athena took in the sight since it was probably the only time she would ever be in the presence of her people's capital.

Sophie's grip loosened until she finally let go. Athena barely noticed as she absorbed the sight and silence of the city. If it wasn't to protect the moonlark, Athena never would have been born so she was glad that she had the opportunity to see the city. What was she supposed to do with her life when Sophie was taken back here for the rest of eternity? Was Athena allowed to live her long life after her mission was over or would another mission come and take her place?

"Now, answer my question: who are you?" Fitz asked. He seemed to be in a better mood, treating her kindly.

"Athena Kalivas," Athena said quietly as she turned to face Fitz and Sophie.

"I'm pretty stumped over how both of you have brown eyes?" Fitz looked at both of them.

Sophie touched under her eyes. "Is there something wrong with our eyes?"

"All elves have blue eyes. That's why I didn't recognize you right away." 

Athena laughed, pulling out her brown contacts. "My eyes aren't brown." She looked up at met his teal eyes with her red eyes.

Fitz and Sophie looked at Athena confused, taking in how odd her appearance was. Long wavy hair as silver as moonlight hung over her shoulder, while she observed them with crimson eyes. A loud bell and elves leaving one of the castles interrupted their thoughts as Fitz pulled them into hiding.