Epilogue IV

(Fun fact: my other HG fic, 'Stone and Lumber' has like almost twelve epilogue-type of chapters and this one had two with the third not counting. But I had an idea I wanted for this book for a while, which is why I made it clear they still need to carry weapons around and why even inside the district Octavia needed to be hidden... Oh and because I saw this quote.)

One thing people need to understand about extremely nice, kind, loving people.

Paige looked at the remains of the broken down door, the bottom half having swung shut but the top half was broken off its hinges.

She was grateful to be alone currently, Amy wouldn't see this with Johanna being with her and away from the home.

Is that the other side is just as extreme.

She didn't need to think much to know what was going on, only one of the four was home.

And someone knew the girl's last name had been Snow.

What other person would wait until now? Until today there was always a victor home, it was the first time something came up important enough to leave the older girl home alone.

She looked at the stray blood splatter on the wall.

It's the hell they have survived that makes them gentle.

It was the first time Paige was requested for an audience with other victors to talk over the new laws and to be sure the old regime was not coming back, meeting in the mayors office to have (A zoom call basically) all of those invited be displayed on a hologram screen in front of her and her on theirs to talk. Amy had also gotten a cold that didn't seem to leave and the rendez-vous with the doctor was when she was not home.

It was the first time they chose to trust their district enough to believe the older girl's words and leave her alone in the home.

Don't mistake their self control for weakness.

And someone knew she was a Snow, that someone came here, broke in, and took her.

Paige almost lazily retraced her way here through her mind with her eyes closed, the perpetrator or perpetrators would never risk crossing her path, not knowing when her meeting was over. So that excluded one side of the district entirely. They would not suspect that she cares for the girl tho, thinking she kept her for revenge, so they wouldn't care to hide her too far from her but away from frequently used places to make no one hear it. The forest was not a good choice either, people still work, they'd be found fast.

They had tied a noose around their necks and it was tightening up.

The beast inside them is sleeping.

There was realistically only a few places they could be in but thinking of Johanna's possible route locked down two of those locations as being the possible places. Since they waited precisely for neither of them to be around she needs to take hers into account.

She opened her eyes with a deep breath.

Reaching up to grab the handles of the hatchets.