Yan Mo's eyes were unenthusiastic. "Why go? I don't want to see people humiliated and furious."

No matter what, she was still their mom. Even though they decided not to get involved, they would still feel uncomfortable.

Yan Yan was silent.

When Yan Mo spoke, Matron Qin was present as well. She didn't quite understand the meaning of his words.

Before long, she also understood.

Shen Yi Yao was crying heavily when she returned. Not even the festive spirit and her desire to maintain her image as a proper lady was able to stop her tears.
The news was soon sent over.

One of the grannies responsible for maintaining the stove fire in the Ningxiang Chambers had a nephew who worked in the stables. Therefore, the news wasn't hard to obtain.

It was said that Shen Yi Yao and Yan Ting had once again gotten the cold shoulder at the Zhenguo Duke Estate. Even on the second day of the New Year, they were left hanging at the Huju Hall. This time Shen Yi Yao no longer controlled herself and made a huge ruckus at the Huju Hall.

This was the news obtained by the servant boy on the carriage. The "huge ruckus" part was something he conjectured based on the circumstances. Yan Yan had Mei Xue stop by the Jinse Pavilion and ask Cui Qiao. From Cui Qiao, the learned the truth of the matter.

Shen Yi Yao had returned to her maternal household full of expectations, but was still taken to the Huju Hall. The servants were very respectful and very cordial, but she still didn't see her own family.

Shen Yi Yao couldn't endure this and started macking a ruckus in the Huju Hall. Yan Ting didn't try to stop her. In the end, Second Madam Shen made an appearance. She said a few words with a troubled expression.

Her general meaning was that the Zhenguo Duke was getting old and his temper was getting worse and worse. She said things like "no one in the family could persuade him anymore" and so on.

In the grand Zhenguo Duke Estate, the Zhenguo Duke Shen Mao Shan's word was law. At least this was the case on the surface. What it was truly like couldn't be seen from the outside.

Regardless, Yan Ting took Shen Yi Yao back.
Shen Yi Yao was devastated and Yan Ting's expression wasn't good either.

It should have been a festive occasion but the Weiyuan Marquis Estate was covered in an indispellable haze.

During the remaining days of the celebration, everyone's smiles were a little forced. Shen Yi Yao was also a little more awkward when going to the Rongan Hall.
***

Even though they had to depend on the Zhenguo Duke Estate in the future, the old madam found it difficult to maintain a pleasant expression.

No one would be willing to see their own son act like a grandson day in day out. Especially since despite acting like a grandson for so long, there still weren't any results. If word spread that they were kicked out during New Year's, wouldn't they become laughing stocks?

The old madam cherished her own flesh and blood. During this time, she no longer treated Shen Yi Yao the same way. Her expression was a few shades uglier and her words revealed some dissatisfaction.

The old madam felt quite sullen sometimes about playing the part of this mother-in-law. Other mother-in-laws could establish rules with their daughter-in-laws. When it came to her, things were different. She had only done so with her eldest daughter-in-law. When Shen Yi Yao married in, the entire estate wished to please her so it wasn't done.
When old third's wife married in, the old madam couldn't discriminate since both were her biological sons. Therefore, old third's wife was exempt as well.