Such a Concubine Pei wasn't unfamiliar. She had always treated Shen Yi Yao respectfully and played her part as a concubine dutifully.

She had always been this way.

Even after becoming the household manager and becoming very busy, she always found time to serve Shen Yi Yao during her meals, and even massaged her shoulders and legs.

If it weren't for the overwhelming evidence that day, Shen Yi Yao definitely wouldn't believe the always behaved Concubine Pei would do such a thing.
But she had truly done so.

Shen Yi Yao's heart was scarred so she wasn't as intimate with Concubine Pei as before. Concubine Pei came daily but Shen Yi Yao's eyes were unenthusiastic. She suggested Concubine Pei go back a few times but she would always cry that the madam hasn't forgiven her. Thereafter, Shen Yi Yao stopped suggesting it.

Concubine Wu also increased her presence at the Jinse Pavilion, and would always chat with Shen Yi Yao together with Concubine Pei.

During this freezing and snowy weather, time passed by more quickly when there was someone to talk to.
This situation made Yan Yan feel extremely uncomfortable. She wasn't able to point out what sort of discomfort, but it was like a sort of helplessness that was hard to source.

Concubine Pei was very honest, honest to a fault. Her attitude was very respectful, so respectful she was almost denigrating herself. She didn't do anything and there was nothing to nitpick about her words. There was nothing anyone could fault her for.

Yan Yan had twice tried to pick a quarrel with her. Concubine Pei didn't cry or make a fuss. When Yan Yan turned around, she saw Shen Yi Yao pretending not to have seen. Turning around once more, she still said nothing but there was some dissatisfaction in her eyes.

Actually, after so many things have happened, Yan Yan also understood the meaning of her dissatisfaction. She wasn't dissatisfied with her going against Concubine Pei. She merely felt this wasn't how a proper lady should behave.

Unfortunately mother and daughter were estranged. Even if Yan Yan understood now, she would pretend not to know about it. Just like how she never accepted Shen Yi Yao's actions, Shen Yi Yao also didn't accept hers. Just as a summer bug wouldn't know the cold, how the Jing and Wei rivers never met and how south was different from north.
Towards Concubine Pei, Yan Yan felt her overflowing strength had nowhere to be applied, just like hitting cotton.

Matron Zou suggested that she have Concubine Pei stay in her own pavilion, using the weather as an excuse not to randomly go out.

Concubine Pei stopped going out as expected.
......

The end of the year arrived in a flash. The Weiyuan Marquis Estate started doing some spring cleaning. Places with peeling paint were repainted and window panes that needed to be replaced were replaced. The windows were decorated with couplets and there were lanterns everywhere. It was extremely lively.

The masters in the estate all started making new clothing. The servants were allocated cloth and cotton to make an outfit for themselves. The New Year had to be welcomed with new clothing.

Mei Xiang and Yan'er were good at needlework, and immediately started on the third miss's and fourth young master's outfits. Shen Yi Yao also had Cui Qiao bring over a plate of pearls, earrings and bracelets for Yan Yan to choose from. They were all suitable for a girl of Yan Yan's age. This was one of the estate's conventions. The misses would all get new jewelry during celebrations, and Yan Yan would always get to choose first before Yan Qian and the rest got a turn.

Along with the jewelry also came two sets of clothing: one for a girl and one for a boy. It included inner and outer clothing, tops and bottoms. The needlework was extremely fine. Cui Qiao said they were made by the madam recently, and that she had spent quite some time on them. Actually Yan Yan knew this without having to hear it from Cui Qiao. Her mom's needlework was good, and she often made clothing for her and Ah Mo in the past. She was able to tell it was her handiwork at a glance.