Chapter 1: Lurking Despair

Start from the beginning

"Well then, why don't you wander around the school without a care in the world and see what happens? I would love to see what happens when someone breaks one of the rules." Celeste snickers to herself. "Monokuma's punishment must be more extravagant than the last."

"But if he got punished like what we saw before, I don't think there'd be a respawn waiting for him," Hifumi says solemnly.

"Listen......I....ever since I was a kid, I grew up with my older brother pounding this into my head...when a man makes a promise, he has to keep it, even if it kills him," Mondo says.

"So what?" Junko asks.

"I've made a ton of promises that I still have to keep, that's 'so what'!" Mondo shouts at her. "So, there's no way in living hell am I dying here!"

"None of that made much sense to me, but you are saying you will follow the regulations, is that it?" Celeste asks while twirling her hair.

"Huh? Oh, well...yeah, I guess you're right."

"Hey, um...I have a question. For regulation number six...what do you think it means exactly?" Sayaka asks.

"You're talking about the second half, right? Where it says 'unless they are discovered?' I was wondering about that myself," Makoto says.

"OH! I got it!" Yasuhiro's booming voice can be heard by everyone as he prepares to make his grand deduct. "It probably means that-"

"It means that if you want to graduate, you have to kill someone without you - the culprit - being exposed," Byakuya cuts him off.

"What the heck, man! I was going to say that!"

"Were you?"

"Um..."

"B-But why...? Why do we h-have to k-kill someone and get away with it?" Toko asks.

"I advise you not to worry about things such as that." Shimizu looks at her. "It's less strain on the brain, you know?"

"Frankly, I don't want to hear anything from someone who waits for others to decide what to do for them." Byakuya jabs at Toko.

"D-Don't jab at me..." Toko blushes.

"More like a full-on stab in the arteries," Leon quirks.

"Well, for now, let's forget all that silly junk about murderers or whatever," Hina says. "Now that we know the rules, let's start exploring the school!"

"Are you suggesting that, so you can let us enter a false sense of security and then kill someone?" Shimizu smirks at her. "Well played, Hina. I might have to watch over you."

"Y-Yeah, y-you probably wanted to k-kill one of us!"

Hina looks mortified and rushes to defend herself. "What?! No, I would never. I was saying we should just.....stay positive and find a way out."

Shimizu looks away from her. "Well, I was just fooling around. Not sure about Fukawa though."

Toko looks away and just stays quiet as if she's in her mind right now.

"We need to find out where exactly we are though. Is there any way out? What about food and supplies?" Taka asks a multitude of questions.

"No use in asking any more questions. Let's just explore this shit-hole!" Mondo shouts.

"Damn straight! Okay, then let's all start looking around," Leon says.

"...I'll be going alone," Byakuya says tersely.

"What!? Why? That's a pretty stupid idea, don't you think?" Junko asks.

"No, it seems perfectly logical to do." Shimizu looks around at everyone. "I hate to bring this up again, but someone may already be considering murder."