Prologue

"I want you guys to forget everything you think you know about the games," Haymitch states as the District 12 team sits down to eat.

"Last year was child's play," Haymitch continues. "This year, you're dealing with all experienced killers."

"All right. What does that mean for us?" Peeta asks.

"That means you're gonna have to have some allies," he replies.

Peeta starts, "ok I think that if we..."

"Whoop," Haymitch interrupts. "You're not the problem."

"No," Katniss states as she stares at the pair, seemingly upset that they even suggested allies.
"Look," Haymitch sighs. "You're starting at a disadvantage. Most of these people have been friends for years."

"That just puts us higher on their kill list," Katniss states.

"Do it your own way," Haymitch tells her. "But I know these people. You go it alone, their first move is going to be to hunt you down. Both of you."

"Katniss come on," Peeta sighs.

"How could any of us even trust each other?" she asks.

"It's not about trust," Haymitch responds. "It's about staying alive."

After the group eats they move to the lounge to watch the recap of the reapings. Haymitch proceeds to give his tributes a rundown of their competition.

"Cashmere and Gloss," Haymitch states. "Brother and sister, District 1. They won back to back games, capital favorites, lots of sponsors. They will be lethal."

He clicks to the next clip. "And the other half of the career pack, Brutus and Enobaria."
"What's with her teeth?" Katniss asks, noticing the abnormally sharp teeth in her mouth.

"She had them filed into fangs so she could rip peoples throats out," Haymitch explains.
"She's committed, I'll give her that," Peeta declares. Haymitch moves on to the next clip.

"Wiress and Beetee," he states. "Not fighters, but brilliant and weird, real tech savvy. He won his games by electrocuting six tributes at once." The tributes absorb this information as Haymitch moves on to the next clip.

He moves onto the next clip and Katniss speaks out. "Finnick Odair right?"

"Yes, he won his games at 14, youngest, ever, extremely humble," Haymitch replies.

"You're kidding," Katniss gapes.

"Yes, I'm kidding," Haymitch sighs. "He's a peacock, a total preener. But he's the capital's darling, and they love him here; charming, smart, and very skilled at combat, especially in water."

"What about weaknesses?" Peeta ask and Haymitch skips back to the escort calling out the female tribute's name.

"Y/N Y/L/N," Haymitch states. "Known in the capital as 'the feral one'".

Katniss and Peeta shrink deeper into the couch.

"Isn't she, um, a serial killer?" Peeta stutters.

"Well technically most of the victors are," Haymitch responds. "But yes, she has killed outside of the games. She's a deeply misunderstood creature."

"Why is she Finnick's weakness?" Katniss asks.

"She was Finnick's first victor that he mentored," Haymitch explains. "It's hard not to get attached to the ones you bring home, especially your first. However, those two are a bit more complicated. I'd says it's probably more of a... situationship... than an actual relationship but if you mess with either of them I can assure you that you'll be dead pretty quickly."

"So we should avoid them," Peeta states, taking a mental note of Haymitch's explanation.

"No," Haymitch states, confusing his tributes. "The best move is to ally with them. They're your biggest competition in the arena besides the careers, but they're arguably more reliable and you don't want to get on her bad side. They call her feral for a reason."

-
Note that as of posting this, chapters 1-12 are already on my Tumblr page!