Chapter 23 - asking

Start from the beginning

"Hey, boss." He got a smack on the shoulder. "I need you to pay attention to this right now."

That broke Cameron's gaze away from mine. Waving goodbye to Elijah, who had a knowing grin on his face, I marched out of the site to my dad's house like a bat out of hell.

So, he was working today. I let out a huge breath, feeling my shoulders relax a little.

Since day one after the fire, Cameron had been an invaluable help to my family during the process of our insurance claim. He and my dad had somehow talked and planned, and Cameron had taken the role of our builder.

It definitely hadn't been easy, but after hearing advice and stories from people who had a similar experience and their warnings that it was going to be a long and overwhelming process, I realized just how much Cameron had protected and helped us. From providing estimates to communicating with our insurance and everything else he could possibly do for us, he'd taken care of it. It would have been a thousand times more stressful if it were just me and dad organizing everything. I was grateful.

And since day one, Cameron had always been present at the site. Always. Until yesterday. Elijah said Cameron had to go to the office for some paperwork. It made me uneasy—not seeing Cameron.

Cameron and I hadn't had a proper conversation since the night of the fire and he went to see me at my place. That night, he finally told me the reason why he had to leave me, and somehow getting the answers broke me apart a little bit more. I didn't know how to stitch myself back together. I hadn't been myself since.

The days following that had been too hectic. There were too many things I had to prioritize. There wasn't time to sit down and talk to him, much less even think.

I could use the shop as a reason, and it was true. But I knew it was also because I had been avoiding being alone with him. Avoiding thinking about all of it.

But when he wasn't there yesterday, I found myself looking for him. In just a short time, I had begun to expect seeing him everyday at the site, I had come to look forward but never gotten used to the stolen glances he sends my way, I had started to look for that moment when he enters a room and know that the first thing he'd do is look for me.

But he hadn't asked me again for my answer, he hadn't pushed.

Did you or did you not tell him you need time?

I did. He'd been nothing but helpful. He'd given me time and space. That was exactly what I asked for, wasn't it? So why did I feel frustrated, itchy, dissatisfied?

The wood steps creaked and gave as I climbed up to the front door, the railing loose when I gripped it. I wondered briefly if we had the budget to replace or repair them and stepped inside. "Dad! You home?"

But all the lights were off. He was probably still hanging out with Detective Dean. They had become good friends.

My childhood home never changed. Surrounded by trees, it was a small, yellow barn house with pale-blue trim converted into a two-bedroom, one-bathroom home. The open concept and generous windows made the place feel bigger than it actually was. Standing at the front door, I could see everything. The living room with the same sofa and white curtains. It was separated from the kitchen by a long counter where we have our meals. It was a comfort that some things stayed the same.

I put away my shoes and purse, glanced at the clock. The guys would be on break soon. It wouldn't hurt to fix them sandwiches now. I bought enough ingredients to make for everyone.

I turned the air-conditioning on and went to the kitchen, washed my hands, glared at the dishes in the sink. Dylan was in-charge of them today. He should be back soon. I'd make him do them when he got back.