Chapter 3 - say what?

Start from the beginning

"There is no way... no way... Bob's gonna ruin this company..." While he was passionately begging and disagreeing someone knocked at the door.

———

Y/n walked across the floor of the higher offices, her shoes clicking one step after the other. "Good morning Y/n, looking gorge."

"Good morning Samantha. It's Bridget dress." Huffed Y/n stopping at the secretary desk leaning a little on her hand that was sitting on the surface. "Is Mr.Hargreeves still inside?"

"Yes. Apparently he's getting deported." Spilled Samantha. "But I didn't tell you."

"Deported? Why?" Uh some tea finally, and maybe also good news for the floor, under a new chief maybe they could finally start work at a decent hour and not fear his fury. Samantha bit her lower lip looking at the screen to prevent herself from saying anything more. But Y/n did know how to lure someone into a conversation. "Samantha... I really want to know why Mr.Hargreeves is being deported. I'm his assistant after all."

The secretary could not hold herself back from that reassuring and calm face. "I don't know the details but is about the fact that he left for somewhere outside the U.S... It was really inconsiderate of him to-"

"Thanks Sammy, I have to go in." Y/n smiled warmly and left a sugar on her desk before swiftly go knock on the door. She had contrasting feelings about this new information. For sure the whole floor would be ecstatic that Mr.Hargreeves was to risk his position, on the other hand she knew that her boss was one of the most ambitious and hardworking editors she had ever encountered

———

"Excuse me, we are in a meeting."

"Sorry to interrupt." Was Y/n short apology, she was in a hurry after all, even if she took her time with manipulating Samantha into telling her the biggest gossip of the company.

"What now, Y/n?" Hissed Five turning only his head towards her, actually half towards her cause there was no way he could do a 180° like a freaking owl.

"Mary from Miss Winfrey's office called. She's on the line. She's on hold. She needs to speak with you right away. I told her you were otherwise engaged. She insisted, so... sorry." Five was ready to sho her away and tell her to move everything around because he needed a few more minutes in that office. But he realized what she had just said, Mary from Miss Winfrey's office... Mary.

A moment of silence where he interrupted himself made Y/n look at him in confusion as this was the first time she had ever seen him speechless.

"uh..." He hesitated taking his hand out of his pocket to clap them together softly. "Y/n, would you please come here..." Y/n looked at the other two people in the room and walked two steps insides, door closing behind her slowly her hands mirroring Five's, holding each other, elbows bent and tight to her sides, her wrist laying on the lower part of her sternum.

"Gentlemen, I understand the predicament that we are in. And there's something you should know." He said walking towards her and stopping beside her to then look back at Jack and Edwin. He brushed his hand on her shoulder, she side looked at him like he was acting crazy, which kinda was if this was your first time experiencing a Five Hargreeves that is not in his brutal boss mode. "We are getting married."

Y/n face stuck into a unreadable expression. "We...... Yeah we are....."

"Getting married." Finished Five for her. She was taking to long and this already looked out of character for the both of them, she didn't have to be such a terrible lier. The two in front of them waited a second to actually take in what he just said.

Five kept his hand on her shoulder while they looked at each other, he was telling her to just be smooth and back him up for the mean time and she just looked at him like this was the dumbest thing to do, regardless she played like he wanted.

"Isn't she your secretary?" Asked one.

"Assistant, actually." She corrected.

"Executive assistant secretary. Titles. But, wouldn't be the first time one of us fell for our secretaries. Would it. Edwin? With Laquisha. Remember? Anyway, the truth is. You know, Y/n and I, we are just two people who weren't meant to fall in love but did."

Y/n shook her head slightly while looking at her superiors but then nodded with Five while he was explaining the hilarious happenings of the fake interest that blossomed between them. "All those late nights at the office and weekend book fairs... Something happened. We tried to fight it but..." And here he really just did not sound like Y/n's boss anymore. "Can't fight a love like ours." He said, one of his arms holding her shoulders in a side hug in an awkward motion.

"So, are we good with this? Are you happy? Because we are happy."

"Five. It's terrific. Just make it legal."

"Yeah, yeah. We need to get ourselves to the immigration office." Agreed Five turning towards Y/n, the two looking at each other again, she was a little slow to respond trying to process what the hell she just got herself into. "So we can work this whole mess out, Right?"

She shook her head trying to tell him that she was not ok with this, the other people in the room just supposed she was a little dumb or better say goofy, yet she was begging for Five to actually not continue with what he was saying. "We'll have to marry quicker love, I'm sorry."

And that pet name rolled so easily out of his mouth, Y/n didn't know if it made her cringe or directly puke. She glanced a second to the other people in the room before looking at her boss again. She sighed under his strong gaze and mentally cursed at herself for being so nice. Because she could have denied everything then and there but she did not, she nodded.

"Thank you very much." He said with a smile turning towards Jack and Edwin. "We will do that right away. Have a nice day."

Y/N just bowed slightly as a thank you and to excused herself and her boss's exit. What the hell did she just agree on.