6: THE STATE OF ODMEN

The song of Nellena, the maiden who died waiting upon her lover in a field of nightshade, was often sung by young boys or girls who's voices could reach higher notes. It was often sung during times of peace, and it was often sung to remind young lovers to be cautious before running off into their sunset. So why it was being sung the day after war had been officially declared in Gardelle by word of King, and after the message had been sent off to Partrall as well, and by an older man in a baritone voice was beyond Luistia's comprehension.

She woke with a start as he began to sing a line about how she tired, and desired, to lay her sweet head down. As he continued to sing she shook her head, yawning and trying to remember what'd happened. The clouds had broken and the sun was shining for perhaps the first time in ages. Next to her, Elesen was still asleep, and she quickly shook the boy awake as well.

Neither knew where the man was, for his voice sounded to be right with them, yet he was nowhere in sight. The sparse bushes around were too tiny to hold anyone, and the trees were too far for him to have been singing there and his voice to have reached them like so. Cautiously, Luistia stood and placed a hand upon the mane of one of the horses, who were chewing on the grass that grew up through the cracks of the rocks.

"Hello?"

The man continued to sing as if he hadn't heard them. "For nay be it that her life not breathe, that her breath not sing, that her love be naught! As tales have cursed and lives have worked, and as evening fights the dawns retreat, and lovers love shall be brought to thee," he sung, his voice strong and powerful. A light breeze began to blow, and leaves that had fallen during the storm were drifting about with it, along with twigs and flowers that had been broken off. The man took a deep breath before starting again, "Nellena, my love, Nellena, my love...Why art thou so cold? Doth life not bring thee happiness, and life not bring thee lovers kiss? Bring thyself back to my arms, lest I fall through deaths dark charms-and wait for naught as mine love doth fade, into the loving everglade."

As he took another deep breath, Luistia caught sight of him atop the rocks they had been sleeping under. He was a short man, shorter than she'd ever seen before, and though his face was old and his hair was white, he had not a beard upon him. He continued to sing, having not noticing either Luistia or Elesen watching him with confused looks.

Finally, Elesen cleared his throat loudly and spoke. "Fair day, sir?"

He laughed, looking down at them with no surprise. "Ah! So the lovely couple hath awaken to see lights beaut, no? From Gardelle, by the looks of ye. Twas sure a nice 'prise to saw both ye sleepin' so kindly and naught. Most travelers whose way is lost be such in good comfort to sleep for days durin' a storm such as that. Aye, it be heaven's mercy upon us all, bless our souls."

Luistia looked to Elesen, who only started to laugh. She couldn't help but grin at how he looked, all childish and sweet as he held his stomach. "Twaint we be together, old man. Nay, I be with friend on journey ta save far more lives than either of us know."

The little old man chuckled as well, squatting down and jumping off the high rocks. He landed on his feet before them, only reaching half of Elesen's height. Yet as he looked up at them, and they down upon him, Luistia felt as though he was bigger than both. He must fair from Odmen, it cannot be ta far off from thus point, can it? We best not have strayed onto a different trail durin' that storm, lest we lose an entire day's journey.

"Name be Jon. Be what yours?"

"Elesen. And this here be Luistia, we fair from Gardelle, as thou had predicted. Where might thou fair from, is it from the tribe Odmen, hidden inside the Mountains of Odmen?" he asked, only to receive several nods as answers. "What doth bring thou out this far, good sir?"