Chapter 4 - To the Death

Ok, its been a while; (oops sorry) Heres an update. I promise I wont be as tardy with the next chapter.

Donna was slammed into the wall. Dazed; it took her a few moments to recover. Shaken she got slowly to her feet.

'Wha... what did you just do?'

Davros regarded her with his Cyclops eye.

'A lesson Donna Noble, that you are dealing with the most powerful and superior race in the Universe. Now be silent.

At a signal from Davros; three Daleks surrounded Donna, ushering her out of the great hall.

The last thing Donna heard as she was escorted down the corridor was an eerie cacophony of Daleks screaming 'Dooooctor, Doctorrr!' In her wake.

Meanwhile up above in the great skies The Doctor circled, desperately looking for a way onto the ship.

Finding a spot on the far side of it the TARDIS materialised within the depths of the ship away from the main corridors. Exiting; The Doctor, careful to keep to the quieter corridors, warily made his way up towards the main areas. The Doctors hearts sank as he realised the scale of the ship; they had re-grouped far quicker and more efficiently than he had feared. As he entered the main part of the ship The Doctor felt undecided about his next step, an unusual thing for him but this was a far from usual situation. Reaching the area where the great hall was based - he heard his name echoing down the corridor long before he reached the hall.

Welcoming committee, he mused, nice.

He edged closer to the door, and peered through the small window. He gave a gasp as he saw a familiar figure shrouded in black... Davros! How was it possible? The Angels? Clearly this explained a lot.

Retreating through an open doorway he decided to search the lower levels. He hadn't seen Donna in the room, he had to find her. And from his knowledge of Dalek ships he had an idea where she might be...

Back on Earth Wilfred Mott had been busy too. The old soldier had gathered a sort of home guard with a small but growing group of fellow humans, together they had made a safe house from where they could pool their resources and plan their next move.

Wilf martialled everybody into the cramped room; there were around fifty of them in total. All stunned and shell shocked. Wilf walked to the front of the room and waited for the chatter to die down. Clambering onto a small chair he stood. 'Right! Now can everyone see and hear me?'

Wilf continued

'Ok, we've seen what these Daleks are capable of, and I think we're agreed that we are not going to be able to defeat them by brute force alone; we need cunning.' He tapped the side of his head. 'We need to use these.'

One voice made themselves heard above the others.

'What makes you so sure we can defeat them?'

More voices chimed in, becoming increasingly bullish in tone.

'How do you know so much about them? You even know what these things are called...'

'Yeah you seem to know a lot about them.'

'Why should we trust you old man?'

Sensing unrest, Wilf tried to placate the group.

'Look, hear me out. I will answer all your questions, yes I do know of them. I've seen them before.'

'You mean they've been here on Earth before now? How come none of us remember any of this?'

Wilf shrugged, 'I don't know, I was closer to events, at the eye of the storm as it were.'

Encouraged by the groups silence he continued. 'There's a man, he's called the Doctor. If anyone can help us he can. In fact he's out there right now in the skies trying to find

A way to defeat them.'

'If he's an Alien like those things how can we trust him?'

'Yes he's Alien and no he's nothing like these creatures; he's always protected and defended this planet... He's a wonderful man.'

One man stepped forward

'Do you trust this Doctor?'

Wilf looked intently at him and without missing a beat

'Yes, yes I do. I trust him with my Granddaughters life. Now are you all with me?'

At the murmurs of assent Wilf breathed a sigh of relief.

Slowly the group began to debate and throw ideas back and forth. Wilfred Mott looked on approvingly. There was something more than fear and mistrust in their eyes now, they had a purpose, a resolve. Humankind was beginning to fight back.

The Doctor having reached the lower levels of the ship began carefully searching each room guessing correctly that these were holding cells. The first two were empty. But the third, well it wasn't quite what The Doctor had being expecting - inside were two Weeping angels; facing each other and rendered immobile for all eternity.

'Sorry guys I'd love to stay and chat; but y' know ...' The Doctor carefully shut the door behind him.

Hurtling down the corridor he almost cannoned into a lone Dalek standing sentry out side of one of the rooms. Just in time he retreated a little. The room looked bigger than the others, more brightly lit too. That had to be where Donna is being kept. Reaching into his pocket he pulled out a clockwork mouse and sent it off in the direction of the Dalek. Sure enough the Dalek spun round in pursuit, blasting at the toy as it skittered past.

Works every time muttered the Doctor. There was no time to lose; quickly gaining entry to the cell he opened the door. There inside looking back at him with a mixture of shock, bewilderment and wonderment was Donna.

'It ... Its you!'

'Yes Donna, its me. Come on we haven't got much time.' Grabbing Donnas hand he propelled them both out of the room, pausing only to close and relock the door. 'Now we have to run'

'Oh yes, I remember that bit.'

Just in time the pair ran to the safety of the shadows, the Dalek trundled back to resume its post as guard.

Racing through the maze of corridors, they eventually felt it safe to stop. They both looked at each other grinning.

'Aww Donna it's good to see you!'

'And you Doctor.'

Donnas smile faltered.

'Doctor, why did you send me home?'

Oh Donna, I had to. I wish it could have been different, but it was the only way to keep you safe after the Meta crisis. You remember that?'

'I remember it all ... Doctor am I safe now or am I going to die? '

The Doctor hugged her close 'Not if I can help it no.'

Reaching in to his jacket pocket he retrieved a small hand held scanner. It bleeped loudly and intermittently as he scanned Donna.

Donna pushed his hand away 'Will you stop bleeping me with that thing'

They caught each others eye and they both burst out laughing at the same shared memory.

'I've missed you Donna.'

She poked him in the chest. 'Sure you did Spaceman. Well; you're not getting rid of me that easily this time.

'I... I didn't just get ri....' The Doctor looked at Donna

'You're joking aren't you?'

'Yep... Dumbo. You. Great. Big. Alien. Dumbo.'

The Doctor feigned outrage 'What did you just call me'

He hurried after her rapidly disappearing form

'Donna where are you going?'

'Well unless it's escaped your notice we're still trapped on a ship with Daleks and I don't fancy hanging around.'

'Quite right too.' The Doctor grinned.