Epilogue

Shin opened the cell door and she felt a slight nostalgia at the thought of it being the last time. The trip had taken days, but a lifetime had passed in her head and heart. The door slid up to reveal Sabine's eyes. Those damn eyes, she thought. From the moment she had crossed them, her world had been rocked, shattered, and changed forever. Those fierce hazel eyes had unleashed storms upon her, of a nature she had never experienced before.

Four bulky guards were alongside her to retrieve the Mandalorian, and as the cell door opened, two went in to retrieve the girl.

Sabine was silent, patiently seated in the cell. Her eyes were darting cold, brooding indifference to Shin. But the apprentice once again found the girl locking on her gaze, even as the two guards lifted her up without manners.

As the guards were escorting Sabine out, into the corridor, Shin raised a hand, slowly. They stopped, looking at her with apprehension. Not sparing them a look, she gestured the men away.

"I'll take it from here," said Shin. "Scramble."

The guards hesitated, visibly upset at the thought of disobeying Elbeth's orders to lead the escort. But they seemed to remember what happened to the last men who dared cross the blonde's will. They left the brig in silence, leaving the two girls alone.

Sabine stood still in the corridor, looking away. Shin's heart pinched hard realising her distance. The mere meter between them felt as wide as a galaxy now. Shin realized bitterly that even when stabbing the girl to death on Lothal she had felt closer to her than now. Was it a thing of the Force, that such undeniable bonds would get forged in an instant, without words, through the soldering of pure instinctive love? How unfair was it, that hollow words and ideals could dissolve that just as fast?

"We're there," Shin said, simply.

Sabine shrugged, meeting her gaze again. She wore that heart-wrenching expression. The one she had the first day here, in the cell. Closed up, untouchable. How badly Shin wanted to touch her again, right now...

"Peridea?" asked Sabine.

"Yes," said Shin, laconically. Her throat felt so tight and dry. For the first time ever, it was actually difficult to stand in front of the girl.

The Mandalorian nodded, silently. She put her cuffed hands forward, her lips pursed, showing no joy nor emotion.

"I'll spare you the protest," she said curtly. "But cutting the no cuffs privileges is a bit petty."

Shin let out a long exhausted breath. She said nothing but found herself disappointed. She had hoped for the rebellion, the banter, the emotion of the girl. She would take hate and insults any day instead of cold indifference.

"Not my call," explained Shin, looking down. "Elsbeth's on edge now we're there."

"So," said Sabine, "I appreciate the whole prisoner-release show, but you're executing me, right?"

Shin's eyes widened in shock. Is that really what she thinks of me, now? she thought. Are things that much broken between us?

"My Master's full promise was to let you find your friend. Or try. So no," she said hoarsely, feeling out of breath. "We'll land and let you go."

She paused, then plunged her eyes into the girl's. She fought tears coming to her eyes and felt surprised at the very unusual feeling.

"And don't make me say it," she whispered. "Just freakin' don't."

She knew who she was speaking to. She knew there was no point in begging such a stupid request.

"Say what?" asked Sabine, in a breath.