Yan Yan wasn't planning on hiding her actions from Ah Mo. Being born in this household, there wasn't a place for innocence. He would have to know sooner or later. Although it was a little cruel, it would allow him to protect himself properly. These days in the Ningxiang Chambers, Yan Mo had listened to the maids talking in private. In addition to some of the things he saw recently, he understood a few things.

But he had always been bashful and spoke little, and seemed like an obedient child. He didn't reveal any abnormal expression towards Shen Yi Yao and Yan Ting, making it hard for others to figure out his true thoughts. They merely treated him as a child.

When the report came in today, Yan Yan felt something was wrong.

She guessed her dad had noticed the weirdness behind his relocation order, and called her eldest uncle over, probably assuming he had offended someone. Then, his raging at the Ziyu Pavilion meant that he had figured things out.

Her grandfather always planned far ahead. Yan Yan felt she merely needed to watch how things played out.

She gave the orders for everyone in the Ningxiang Chambers to remain low-key. She herself planned on not going out unless absolutely necessary.

.......

Yan Yan was correct in her assumptions. During dinner time, the Jinse Pavilion suddenly sent someone over to invite her and Yan Mo over to eat. They said that apart from the lord marquis and the madam, there wasn't anyone else.

This "anyone else" naturally referred to Concubine Pei's group. It meant that it would just be their family of four eating.

The dishes tonight were very sumptuous. There was poached chicken, ruyi fish rolls, dragon whiskered four veggies, ginger steamed bass, stir-fried kidneys, bamboo chicken, barbecued duck, and bronzed tofu and so on. These were all dishes Yan Yan and Yan Mo enjoyed.

The atmosphere at the table was very good. Shen Yi Yao was all smiles, seeming to like this sort of gathering very much. She would grab dishes for Yan Ting and Yan Mo every once in a while. Of course, Yan Yan wasn't left out either.

Yan Yan felt a little complicated. This sort of scene was joyous and harmonious, but when combined with the things that happened during the day, it made one feel complicated.

After dinner, as Yan Yan was leaving with Yan Mo, Yan Ting gave Yan Yan a deep look, his pupils unclear. Yan Yan's heart tightened. When she looked over again, her dad wasn't looking at her, making it seem as though it was an illusion. However, Yan Yan knew that it wasn't.

Did he finally find the "main culprit"?

On the way back to the Ningxiang Pavilion, Yan Yan's face was a little gloomy. Her hand couldn't help but tighten on Yan Mo's. Little Ah Mo looked at his big sister, but couldn't understand her expression.

"Ah Mo, you have to be well." She was talking to Yan Mo, but also to herself.

Unexpectedly, Yan Mo's face didn't have a bashful expression. His little face was very solemn.

"Does it have to be this way?"

This was the first time brother and sister were discussing this matter properly. Yan Yan had always felt her younger brother wasn't as he appeared on the surface, but this was her first time realizing he wasn't as innocent as he looked.

She crouched down and looked directly into his eyes.
"This is a multiple choice question. Grandfather has set everything up already. If he chooses correctly, he'll still be our dad. If he chooses wrongly....."

Yan Yan left the remaining words unspoken. Actually she had already prepared for the worst, for no other reason than Yan Ting's gaze back then.
That gaze faintly concealed something. She felt unspeakable grief, but also as if a weight was taken off her mind....