......

Yan Yan's predictions weren't wrong. The very next day, Old Madam Yan called Shen Yi Yao over and burst out crying, saying how she had just found out about the quack doctor. She said she had invited him out of concern for her grandson, but didn't expect to have harmed him instead. Luckily no problems had come out of it.

It was true there were no problems, but according to the letter Yan Yan received, major problems would have arisen had things continued for a couple more years.

It was always difficult to guard against shameful methods within rear residences. This was Yan Yan's first time experiencing it.

All she could do was have the maids and grannies raise their awareness, and also build a small kitchen within her own courtyard. Actually, the Ningxiang Chambers had its own small kitchen the entire time, and was normally used to make a few snacks or soups. The food still normally came from the main kitchen.

When Yan Yan brought up wanting to build her own small kitchen to manage her and Yan Mo's food in the future, no one in the estate said anything. Well, Concubine Pei did say a couple of things, but Yan Yan ignored her. Afterwards, Shen Yi Yao sent someone over asking about it. Yan Yan used the imperial physician's recommendations of nourishing food over medicine to shut things down.

Under Matron Zou's suggestion, the small kitchen's ingredients weren't sourced from the main kitchen either. Instead, they purchased things from the outside themselves. Although they called it purchasing, it was actually sent over by the servants of the Zhenguo Duke Estate. The maids just needed to receive things at the side door. They even sent over a granny who was good at cooking.

Many people in the estate were aware of Yan Yan's actions. The old madam had also called Yan Yan over wanting to say a few things, but looking at Yan Yan who was restraining her anger, she swallowed her words, afraid that this little ancestor would make a huge fuss.

***

Yan Mo's frailness wasn't something that could be changed overnight.

Lady Hui was a martial artist. The basic intent of martial arts was to strengthen the body, so she knew a thing or two about it.

They temporarily didn't dare do anything major. Yan Yan merely took Yan Mo on a walk around the courtyard after her morning practice. If the weather was nice, she would have the maids take him out often to get some sun.

Yan Mo was an obedient child. He listened to whatever his big sis said.

Actually, he sometimes also felt he should walk around more. But everyone by his side often said the young master's body was frail and it was better to be held. Being too active would make one sweaty, which would make it easy to catch a cold.

It wasn't bad to pamper someone, but pampering too much would cause a sort of invisible harm.

Yan Yan would order the maids to wipe off Yan Mo's sweat and help him change into dry clothes every time after they exercised. He never caught a cold after several times, making Matron Qin pleasantly surprised and lament over having wronged the young master in the past.

Lady Hui had Yan Yan arrange people to get some medicinal ingredients and processed them for a few days. Then, Lady Hui had someone prepare a large basin of hot water every night and would pour the pitch black medicinal soup into it. She had Yan Mo sit and soak inside for a while, and would only let him out after he was thoroughly red and sweating.

Yan Yan had also soaked in medicinal baths in the past, though not on a daily basis. Furthermore, her bath was used to eliminate hidden injuries from her martial arts training, and was different from Yan Mo's. Yan Yan had asked Lady Hui, who told her that Yan Mo's baths were used to strengthen the body and dispel the cold air inside.