Of course, she was also jealous of her. If she had what Yan Yan had, she would definitely be living happily and wouldn't have to be sullen all the time. Unfortunately, that was just a pipe dream.

After applying the medicine, Yan Ling opened the doors and prepared to leave. Concubine Wang asked where she was going and she expressionlessly said she was going to comfort her upset big sis.
Concubine Wang looked timid yet worried. She didn't want to let her go since she knew they would just vent their anger on her daughter. Yan Ling knew this of course, but them venting now was better than venting later.

She understood Xue-shi and Yan Ru too well. Once their anger faded and they remembered the "culprit", her outcome would be even more tragic. She might as well take a couple of hits now before uniting against a common enemy with them.

Why wasn't the culprit Yan Yan? This was because when people encountered someone powerful they couldn't afford to provoke, they would subconsciously overlook things. They would then find an easy target, which was the so called punching bag.

Yan Ling couldn't avoid becoming the punching bag, but she wasn't a fool and knew to turn them towards their "common enemy".

People unavoidably did things that went against their thoughts for the sake of survival.

Yan Yan walked swiftly as Mei Xiang and Mei Xue jogged to keep up.

Only after they almost reached the Ningxiang Chambers did her anger fade.

She slowed down and the other two caught up.
"Miss, why did you leave? Won't they start saying things to the madam?" Mei Xue said carefully.
Yan Yan's face was rigid, "They can say whatever they want. I can't control their words."

Mei Xue still wanted to speak but Mei Xiang secretly pulled at her.

After returning to the Ningxiang Chambers, Yan Yan went at sat on the kiln in the western room. Yi Yun served tea while Mei Xiang arranged for breakfast to be brought over.

Yan Yan's habit was to eat a little before training in the morning, and then some more after paying respects. Her martial arts training consumed a lot of stamina so she ate more than normal girls.
After eating breakfast, Mei Xiang's group softly cleared the kiln table and the dishes. Yan Yan leaned against the pillow and prepared to sleep for a bit.

There was a violet jade bamboo mat on the kiln and in the corner was a flowing gold basin with legs in the shape of beasts. Within it were several large blocks of ice which were giving off white smoke. Although it was the end of summer, it was still hot and stuffy. The ice lowered the temperature and made it a bit more cool and refreshing.

Yan Yan didn't sleep long, probably around half an hour.

After she got up, Mei Xiang asked quietly if she planned on attending class today.

The Weiyuan Marquis Estate had invited some female teachers for the few misses. Apart from the usual knowledge and etiquette, they even had teachers for zither, go, calligraphy and painting. But since things got out of hand today, the various misses definitely asked off. Yan Yan didn't plan on attending by herself, especially since she had just returned. No one would say anything if she rested for a few days.

Right as she was speaking, Matron Zou came in. She reported that the Zhenguo Duke Estate had sent an imperial physician over and that he had arrived.
Yan Yan had Matron Zou go receive him with two maids and take him directly to the Jinse Pavilion. She herself would go over right away. After Matron Zou took her leave, Yan Yan had Mei Xiang tidy up her hair and clothing before heading over to the Jinse Pavilion.

When she arrived at the Jinse Pavilion, the imperial physician hadn't arrived yet. She didn't enter the pavilion and merely stood waiting outside the door.
Soon, Matron Zou led a white-haired old man nearing his sixties up the path. When they reached the pavilion gates, Yan Yan first saluted the old imperial physician before leading him with Matron Zou to Ah Mo's little lateral courtyard.