Chapter 9

Hon jumped on a roof and ran after Cornelia who was just a few meters in front of him.
„What are you going to do with him?!“ Hon yelled at her but Cornelia didn’t reply.
She was doing everything so gently, jumping and holding Xuan looked so easy for her. Her aura wasn’t that strong but she was able to control perfectly even the amount of it she had.
As they were chasing on the roofs, Cornelia jumped on the tallest one in the whole village and fell down.
Hon jumped right after her, but when he landed, he couldn’t see here anywhere.
He noticed that the building with the tall roof was actually some kind of a shrine and there was a huge possibility they went inside.
But there were still lots of other buildings and he couldn’t afford to waste time, so he opened the third eye on his forehead and looked around.
He wasn’t able to see all the auras clearly since his powers were reduced, but there were still some fragments of it.
He saw a few weaker ones in the buildings around him, but that were probably only the ghosts possessing human bodies.
The ones he was looking for were in the shrine.
Even with his powers reduced, he was able to see Xuan’s strong aura, totally covering Cornelia’s one.
Hon closed the eye on his forehead and walked to the shrine’s doors which were locked.
Hon wanted to knock them off without any hesitation, but then he noticed something strange about them.
There was a paper stucked on them, multiple ones actually. And there were probably some from the inside too, so there really wasn’t any point in breaking them. These papers looked like ofuda papers but the writing was different. Also, there were added some symbols like crosses and pentagrams on each.
Just what was Cornelia trying to do?
Hon was angry. Angrier than ever, but he was also very scared and nervous for Xuan. He finally found someone dear to his heart, there was no way he would let go of him.
He stepped back from the door and walked around the shrine. Nothing. The papers on the doors were blocking the entire shrine. Last option was getting in through the roof.
He jumped up again, but it was pointless. Everything inside the shrine was under the protection of those few powerful spells that were hard to break even for the demon king.
The problem wasn’t actually it’s strenght, Hon would be easily able to destroy some of them, but the amount of them.
Breaking just one powerful seal takes a lot of energy, and if Hon had to fight with Cornelia afterwards he would surely lose.
He came back to the door and sat down, leaning against them.
„Xuan, can you hear me?“ He said in a loud voice.
He soon heard a silent „Yeah.“ from the inside. It was Xuan. He already woke up from when Cornelia knocked him out.
„Wh-what happened?“ Xuan asked in a small and confused voice.
„I have no idea... Are you alone there?“ Hon asked.
„I guess... I can’t move.“ Xuan replied.
„Are you tied up or you can’t feel your limbs at all?“
„I think I’m tied up...“
„Xuan, I need you to calm down.“
„But I am calm...“
„You are not. I’ll get you out soon. Don’t let her know I found your-“ Someone suddenly cut him off:
„You found what?“
Hon lifted his head and saw Cornelia standing in front of him.
„I thought you‘d be in there.“ Hon said and stood up.
„Well, I’m not.“
„You’re really Florence’s sister, aren’t you?“ Hon asked and sarcastically smiled at her.
Cornelia smiled back and they just stood there for a while, waiting for whoever would start the fight.
„Why do you need him?“ Hon asked after a while.
„That’s none of your business.“ Cornelia crossed her arms on her chest, none of them seemed like wanting to fight.
„It is. You kidnapped my subordinate.“ Hon said and rested his left hand on the katana’s handle on his hip.
Cornelia smiled again and said: „Do you remember Stroke?“
„The old Treachery ruler? Yeah. He wasn’t very talkative.“
„He can’t talk at all now.“
„Sucks for him. What does Xuan have to do with it?“
„Are you not surprised?“
„By what? That he’s alive? He was a demon king, can you imagine how hard it is to kill one?“
„Personal experience?“ Cornelia asked and leaned against the pillar behind her.
Hon didn’t reply and leaned against the door.
Xuan was able to hear this entire conversation, but he didn’t understand what they were saying at all. He still didn’t know why the sister of an annoying lady kidnapped him, and only thing he somehow understood was Stroke and Treachery kingdom, since he remembered it from Rika’s letter.
„What are we waiting for?“ Hon asked.
„For Stroke.“ Cornelia replied and suddenly something landed behind her that seemed like a thunderbolt.
After a better look, Hon noticed it was a crow.
„I’ll have to make a way for his highness.“ Cornelia said and stood up properly, getting closer to Hon.
„I won’t allow you to use Xuan for this.“
„But his body is perfect for possession! Beautiful, gentle and clear! A body worthy of a king! I’ve never seen a human body this perfect. And I haven’t even started talking about his marvelous aura!“ Cornelia said and the crow Stroke landed on her shoulder right when she stopped talking.
It was a perfect timing, worthy of a perfect king.
„On the other hand, your body is dirty and weak. In this form, you won’t be able to win against me.“
„I don’t care. You’re not going to touch him anymore.“
„What? Are you keeping his body for yourself? Why haven’t you used it already?“
Hon wasn’t sure how to reply, but after taking a deep breath, he said: „He’s mine.“
Then he swiftly drew his katana and without Cornelia noticing, he held it under her throat.
„Your body’s not that bad too.“ Hon said and pressed his katana further into her throat. A small stream of blood flew down her chest. „It would be a shame to lose it.“ He added.
Cornelia wanted to back down but she bumped into a pillar behind her.
She really underestimated Hon’s current body, but he knew all the prons and cons when he was choosing it and now he was well aware of his strenght.
He thought he would win, but the crow suddenly flew on his head and started pecking him.
„What?!“ He yelled and tried to cover his head with his non-existing hand. Stroke’s distraction was successful and Cornelia was able to get hold of his katana, pushed Hon down and stood on his chest, pointing the tip of the sword on his throat now.
Hon was stunned and there really wasn’t any way for him alone to get out of this situation. His only hope was Florence, but god knows where she was and she probably wouldn’t be able to fight her sister too.
If his powers weren’t reduced, he would easily use the demonic magic to summon some bloody sword and fight back, but he wasn’t able to use this magic at all thanks to the paper stuck on his head.
Hon was in a very uncomfortable situation.
„Any last words?“ Cornelia asked and pressed the katana closer.
„Goodnight!“ Someone yelled from behing and Cornelia was knocked out.
A pair of pale hands grabbed the crow before it managed to fly away and quickly tied it’s beak with a crimson red string.
It was a girl with long dark blue hair tied in a bun and who covered herself in a black cloak. She kneeled down before Hon, still holding the crow, and closed her yellow eyes.
„Your highness.“ She said and smiled.
„Moka, good to see you again.“ Hon said and smiled back while standing up.
It was Moka, Hon’s second secretary and his dear friend.
„Lady Florence needed my help, and because the portal isn’t that far from here the delivery crow came just in time. Who even is that?“
„It’s Florence’s sister.“
„I thought so. They look alike.“ Moka said and looked at Cornelia who was lying on the ground.
Soon enough, even Florence and Adam arrived.
Florence kneeled down and hugged her sister’s knocked out body while crying: „I’m sorry! I’m really sorry!“
No one said a word and Hon was getting impatient. He wanted to go in and save Xuan, but for that he needed both Moka and Florence to help him unseal the door.
„Florence, help me out, please.“ Hon said and pointed his head to the door.
Florence lifted her head and nodded, leaving Adam to take care of Cornelia.
Hon, Florence and Moka stood in front of the door, lifted their left hands and soon all of the seals fell down.
Hon quickly opened the door and rushed to Xuan who was tied down on a table. He seemed to be alright, there were just a few unknown symbols written on his forehead and wrists. Hon seriously wondered when did Cornelia manage to do all of that.
He started untying him, but it was quite hard because his hand was shaking a bit. He also had only one hand, of course it was difficult!
When Xuan noticed this he said in a calming voice: „Don’t worry. I’m right here.“
Hon took in a deep breath and steaded his hands. He continued untying Xuan without a word, while Xuan looked at him, worried.
„Hon, I’m alright. Don’t stress over it, please. You’re stressing me.“
Hon took in another deep breath and he untied Xuan’s last limb, his right leg. Xuan sat down and Hon hugged him.
His breathing was harsh and his palm sweaty. He was really nervous ever since Florence introduced Cornelia. He could read the evil aura from her, but still left Xuan alone with her. Even if it was for just a moment.
When she started teasing him and playing dirty, ended up nearly killing him, he felt like he might break down any moment. It was his fault this time.
Xuan hugged him back and patted his back.
„You don’t have to worry about me that much...“
„I-I have! What if Moka wouldn’t make it in time and Stroke would possess your body?!“ Hon yelled at him for no reason and buried his head in Xuan’s shoulder.
If someone is possessed once, their soul is forever gone. Even if the demon immediately left, the possessed person would never be the same. And if someone is possessed for a longer period of time, their souls are absorbed completly, and after the demon leaves, their bodies just die.
So of course Hon was scared! He really didn’t want to lose this boy. He knew it was bad, but after long time there was once again something he was emotionally attached to. Even if he died there would still be a chance for him to find Xuan in the demon realm, but that would be someone else, not the boy he knew now. But if he got possessed there wouldn’t be anything he could do.
„But it wasn’t my fault she kidnapped me?“ Xuan tried to argue but Hon held him even tighter.
„You’re right. I’m sorry. I just needed t-to scream.“
Xuan held his head from behind and started playing with his hair, closing his eyes.
„Dear lord, he can’t be serious.“ Moka said looking at them and held her head.
Florence didn’t reply at all and after a while she turned around and wanted to leave but Moka stopped her.
„We can’t let her nor Stroke go. If she attacked just that boy I wouldn’t care but she hurt Yumeno.“ Moka said, still looking at Hon and Xuan.
The two of them already let go of each other and Hon helped Xuan stand up.
When they walked out of the shrine, Moka stopped and said: „Rika told me your body wasn’t damaged but, where is your right arm?“
Hon stopped behind her but didn’t turn around.
„Didn’t he lost it when he fell into that river?“ Florence asked and came closer.
„Rika told me he had all limbs when she met him.“
„Then- Who would be that powerful to manage to cut off your entire arm?“ Florence asked and stood right in front of Hon who still refused to face any of them and just followed the ground.
Moka turned around and faced Hon’s back.
„It was that boy, wasn’t it?“ Moka asked and looked at Xuan.
Xuan was stunned. He actually did cut off Hon’s hand! But was it really such a big deal? Hon didn’t really care about it, so he thought it really was okay.
But he was always forgetting that Hon is a demon king with masses of servants and subordinates, and that every violence against him would be punished.
He was a real king after all! Not just some random strong demon.
No one was saying anything. Hon knew it was a deep crime that would be seriously and painfully punished, but he still didn’t even try to defend himself back then.
Maybe Xuan’s aura somehow hypnotized him but he really wouldn‘t mind if Xuan tore off every of his limbs. He would let him do anything at this point.
If Hon really defended himself, even a bit, it would be Xuan with no arm right now, but it wasn’t.
„Your highness, if this human hurt you, he shall be publically executed by you.“ Moka said and lifted her hand, resting it on Hon’s shoulder.
„I won’t hurt him.“ Hon said and moved forward.
„Yumeno! He’s not strong enough to hurt you. Why would you let him do it?“ Moka asked but Hon left without a word with Xuan quickly following him.
Moka sighed and looked at the crow that she was still holding.
„Nice to meet you, your highness, Stroke.“ She said and smiled at him. Stroke screeched loudly but didn’t move his crow body much.
Soon enough, Florence, Adam carrying Cornelia and Moka holding Stroke left. They went to Cornelia’s house to decide what should they do with her next.
Meanwhile, Hon rushed to the village’s entrance and leaned his back against the fence.
Xuan leaned against the same fence right next to Hon, catching his breath.
Hon realised he probably walked too fast and he hurt Xuan again. He deeply sighed and looked at Xuan, who was already looking at him.
„Will they kill me?“ Xuan asked quietly.
„I won’t allow it.“
„But I did hurt you... If it’s the law then I can’t do anything...“
„It’s okay I am their ruler so I simply won’t allow it.“ Hon spoke fast and his words were blending in together.
Xuan really didn’t understand why he was so nervous if he was able to stop it.
„God dammit! It’s not even my real body!“ Hon complained again, covered his face and deeply sighed.
„Why are you stressing so much? Didn’t you just say you will not allow it?“ Xuan asked.
Hon looked at him through the hole between his fingers and muttered.
„It’s not about stopping it but about explaining my actions. What will I say to my subordinates?“
Xuan really didn’t know how to reply. He was a king and he himself didn’t know what he was doing all this time, so how could he possibly explain it to the masses?
„How will I explain everything? The past 50 years? Wh-what will I do when I get back? I just really don’t know...“ Hon added and crouched down quickly.
Xuan didn’t know if he should pet him or something. No one ever had a breakdown next to him before he met this guy and he was just so confused from everything, he just really didn’t know what to do.
„Will they still think about me as of their king? Or will they just turn against me and kill me again?“ Hon asked himself, still covering his face. „I’m not even sure I c-can rule anymore...“
Hon suddenly lifted his hand and his eyes widened. He quickly turned his head and looked at Xuan who just stood there in confusion.
Hon swiftly stood up and grabbed Xuan’s hand. „Let’s just run away again.“
Hon said, turned around and started running out of the village, dragging Xuan behind him.
Xuan suddenly stopped and shook off Hon’s hand.
Hon turned around and looked at him. Hon looked like he might start crying any moment now.
„Hon... You’re a king. You don’t have to explain yourself.“ Xuan said and held his wrist that Hon held too strong before it actually started to hurt.
Hearing this, Hon stayed still for a while, but when he realised Xuan was actually right, he moved closer. But Xuan backed off two steps.
Seeing this, Hon’s heart shattered. He was supposed to trust Hon, not fear him.
Hon fell on his knees and crawled up to Xuan’s feet.
„Please... Please! Don’t- don’t fear me! I can’t do this. I’m not strong eno-enough to save you. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m really sorry.“ Hon cried, hugging Xuan’s legs.
He started screaming soon and really didn’t know what to do. His mind was never this weak and he cried this hard only once before. Although, now he couldn’t remember why and when exactly.
Xuan suddenly dropped down and hugged him tightly.
„It’s okay... You don’t have to save me... You already did by just simply being yourself.“ Xuan comforted him and Hon grabbed onto his back.
After some time, Hon’s screams and cries lowered and finally he wiped out his tears, embraced Xuan’s waist tightly and jumped up on the tree branch right above them.
They sat down and watched the sunset together. Hon leaned his head on Xuan’s shoulder and Xuan embraced his back.
„I’m sorry you had to see me like that.“ Hon said after a while and Xuan just sighed.
„Don’t mind it.“
„I already forgot how to rule over someone. I really don’t want to go back.“
„I’ll go with you. Don’t worry.“
Hon didn’t say anything to that. He lowered his head and leaned against Xuan’s chest. He was listening to Xuan‘s heartbeat.
„Isn’t this too similar to back then?“ He said after a while.
„Maybe a little.“ Xuan smiled.
Xuan said his feeling weren’t romantic? They were. He wanted to kiss Hon so badly right now, but still held back.
He didn’t feel sad nor happy, he was just glad that Hon trusted him so much that he could cry in front of him. It reminded him that they weren’t complete strangers anymore and that love wasn’t that wrong.
There were still so many things he didn’t know about Hon, but he surely wanted to find out.
„Are you going to cut off my hand now?“ Xuan laughed.
„Am I?“ Hon teased him and smiled.
They stayed like this for a while, when suddenly Hon grabbed Xuan’s shoulder and pressed him against the tree. He leaned above him and their faces were getting closer.
Hon changed the direction and whispered into Xuan’s ear: „I don’t know. Am I?“
Xuan’s breathing almost stopped.
Hon face swiftly turned red and he sat straight and looked away.
„Wha...“ Xuan started, still leaning against the tree, but he just couldn’t get out any words.
„N-n-nothing! Forget it! I-I’ll go to tell M-Moka to not hurt you now!“ Hon said and jumped down from the branch, rushing away.
„H-hey! Can you at least help me get down?!“ Xuan yelled after him.
Hon stopped, turned around and back a few times and then walked back.
„Jump down! I-I’ll catch you!“ Hon yelled and Xuan just nodded and jumped down without hesitation.
Hon caught him in just one arm but he held him longer than was needed for some reason, then got all red again, put Xuan on the ground and started speed-walking away.
Xuan suddenly grabbed his wrist and Hon jerked and slowly turned his head around.
„Hon! What’s wrong?“
„D-D-don’t touch me!“ he shook off Xuan’s hand and crouched down, covering his face again.
Xuan obviously wanted to touch him in this situation, but he decided it would be better if he just won’t.
„My mind is j-just a big mess right now. I’m s-sorry. Please, forget about today. And-And stay away from me tonight! I don’t know wh-what I’ll do.“ Hon panicked and even though he was covering his face, Xuan saw the tips of his ears that were burning bright red.
Xuan sighed „I am really confused too so I somehow know how you feel. I don’t know what’s going on at all but I’ll let you alone tonight.“
Xuan started walking away but Hon grabbed his ankle.
„Wait. Don’t.“
Xuan nearly fell but managed to keep his stand and looked back at Hon who was lying on the ground.
„What should I do then?“
„Let’s stay here tonight.“
„In the forest?“
Hon nodded and looked dead serious. Xuan just sighed and crouched down too.
„Come on. Hold my hand.“ Xuan said and extended his hand.
Hon sat down and lifted his hand a bit but then withdrawn it. He looked very nervous and Xuan just sighed again.
Xuan hesitated for a bit but then he leaned a bit and kissed Hon’s cheek. He couldn’t help it anymore but at least it wasn’t on the lips.
Hon was stunned and as red as a tomato, but Xuan was just smiling.
In his heart, there was a fight between the darkness of reality and love of fantasy, none of these sides winning, they stayed in a perfect harmony and Hon finally felt this feeling of true relief after 300 years.
He covered his face again and started laughing. He suddenly fell onto Xuan who fell over.
Hon had lain on Xuan’s chest and listened to his heartbeat for a while, until Xuan also laughed a bit and started petting his head and played with his hair.
„Let’s stay like this for the night...“ Hon said silently and Xuan replied with just a silent „Mhm...“
They actually stayed like this until the sunrise.