Spring Leaves

Spring Leaves trickle down the face of evil. We stand together.

~

"Levioso!"

Emmaline raises her opponent, Sebastian, into the air with her spell before rapid firing at him. Sebastian shouts good-natured gibberish as he spins in the air.

He lands with a loud thud, causing the class to moan with sympathy.

"Get up Sallow!" Someone yells.

"Protego!" Emma blocks Sebastian's cast following his poor feint, allowing him to get to his feet before she blasts him off of the dueling platform. It's a bit more than she wanted to put into it; she has a feeling that relates to the wand not really being hers.

After the excitement settles and the next battle is chosen, Sebastian finds her lingering off to the side.

"Not bad for a beginner," he says slowly, eyeing her with the mischievous and curious look that had welcomed her that day in the common room. "You give as good as you get." He looks her up and down so quickly one could miss it, "Hm."

Emmaline watches him go past her, right in the eyes. She won't be pushed into shyness.

Intrigued, she turns to follow him, hating that it's likely what he wanted.

"I enjoyed that," she muses, stalking his steps with her hands behind her back.

"Well, that duel was quite something," he admits, stopping and turning to her at the back of the classroom. "Everyone will be talking about it."

Emma shrugs with a knowing grin, "It was certainly good practice."

"Practice?" He scoffs, "Felt more like I was dueling an expert! Didn't expect a new student to be so deft with a wand."

And it's not even my wand.

"Then again, perhaps this wasn't your first duel?"

She keeps her cool, "I've dueled enough. Consider yourself lucky I held back."

"Ha. Fair enough," there is a glint of intrigue in his eye, "You owe me an honest duel when you aren't."

"Deal," Emma smiles.

Sebastian's eyes suddenly dart around the room, as if looking to see if anyone is listening. He steps a bit closer to her. Emmaline notes he is shorter than Ominis.

The blonde Slytherin had been on her mind often since their meeting.

"You know," Sebastian begins, looking down at her with a dashing smile that reads trouble , "you might be a perfect fit for a certain exclusive unsanctioned dueling organization."

Ever on the hunt for curiosities of all types, Emma jumps.

"Exclusive and unsanctioned? Count me in."

~

There is a theme amongst the muggles in the village her family lives in. They always go on about how no place feels better than your homeland. Emmaline didn't really understand. Her muggle aunt tried to explain one day by saying that when she lived in London, she yearned for green fields and the very feel of the air in Ireland, where she was born and grew up along with Emma's mother and other aunts.

She had still not understood.

Running through the grounds of Hogwarts, wind in her hair, birds flocking overhead, butterflies fluttering amongst rich green shrubbery and air fragrant with the forest and grass, Emma feels she may actually see what they mean.