American Bulldog.

Start from the beginning

American Bulldog are loyal, self-confident and they are in the FOUNDATION STOCK SERVICE

loyal, self-confident and they are in the FOUNDATION STOCK SERVICE.
HEIGHT:
22-25 inches (males);
20-23 inches (females).
WEIGHT:
75-100 pounds (males);
60-80 pounds (females).
LIFE EXPECTANCY:
10-12 years.
Coat type: smooth.
Coat length: short.
Standard colors: white.
Standard markings: black markings, brindle markings, tan marking, brown markings, red markings.

General Appearance: The American Bulldog is a well-balanced, strong, muscular, and athletic dog. It demonstrates great strength, endurance, and agility along with an alert, outgoing, and friendly attitude. Males are characteristically larger and heavier boned than the females. A medium, sturdy, and powerful frame enables this breed to chase, catch, and bring down free-ranging livestock and feral hogs, as well as performing as a protector for family and property. The American Bulldog should be judged as a working dog with faults being penalized in proportion to how much they interfere with a dog's ability to perform its work. Some aloofness with strangers and assertiveness towards other dogs is accepted, but not to the extent that the dog is excessively timid or aggressive which shall be deemed
a fault.
Size, Proportion, and Substance: Being lean and athletic, the preferable height range is 22 - 25 inches at the withers for the male, and 20 - 23 inches at the withers for the female. Males under 22 inches and over 25 inches shall be disqualified. Females under 20 inches and over 23 inches shall be disqualified. The length of the body measured from the withers to croup may not exceed the height at the withers by more than five percent. The weight shall be proportional to the size.
Head: Expression is intelligent, alert, and powerful. Eyes range from light brown to dark brown, medium in size, almond to round shape and are set wide on the head. Black pigment around the eyes is preferred, but lack of pigmentation is not considered a fault. Faults: Visible haw and any eye color other than brown. Disqualifications: Eye colors that do not match. Ears (natural) are medium in size and should sit high on the head. They may be dropped, semi-prick or rose. Dropped ears are level with the upper line of the skull, emphasizing the skulls width. At the base, the ear is slightly raised in front and should hang along the muscular cheek with the tip slightly rounded. Semi-pricked ears are carried erect with the rounded tips leaning forward. Rose ears are small and set high on the skull. When the adult dog ear is pulled down toward the eye, it should not extend past the outside

corner of the eye. Skull is large, broad, flat on the top and medium in length with a of three to five ratio to the muzzle, giving the impression of power. A box or wedge shape is preferred with pronounced muscular cheeks. Stops can range from slightly defined to distinct with the forehead being slightly wider than it is high. Muzzles are broad and are typically 30% to 40% of the overall length of the head. The muzzle is wider at the stop and tapers to the nose. Nose pigmentation is black with wide-open nostrils. Faults: Any other color than black or a lack of pigmentation. Lips are full but should not be too pendulous. Black pigmentation is preferred but some pink is allowed. The jaws are well muscled to show strength and the chin is well defined, not overlapping or covering the upper lip. Bites are preferred to a reverse scissor but a scissor bite to undershot up to quarter inch is allowed. Disqualification: The upper jaw protrudes significantly above the lower jaw (Parrot mouth) or closed mouth with visible teeth. Teeth are medium to large and should not be visible when mouth is closed. Worn, missing or broken teeth should not be a fault as the American Bulldog is a working breed.
Neck, Topline, and Body
Neck is muscular, medium in length, slightly arched, and should taper from shoulders to head. A slight dewlap is allowed. The neck must be long enough to exert leverage, but short enough to exert the power to catch animals from large bulls to feral boar hogs. Topline is level from withers to the loin. Loins are short, broad and slightly arched to blend into a slightly sloping croup. Chest is deep and broad, giving the appearance of power and athletic ability without being excessively wide to throw the shoulders out. Ribs are well sprung from the spine forming a deep body as they flatten and extend to the elbows. Back is broad, muscular, and moderately short showing great strength. Tail is set low and is thick at the root, tapering to a point at the hock in a relaxed position. A "Pump Handle" tail is preferred, but any tail carried upright when the dog is excited and between the hocks when relaxed is acceptable. Disqualification: Docked, completely curled over the back, corkscrew, or kinked.
Forequarters: Shoulders are well-muscled with good definition and laid back with
significant angulation to allow for good movement. Legs are strong, straight, medium to heavy-boned, and well-muscled. When the legs are viewed from the front, they are perpendicular to the ground. Elbows are set on a plane parallel to the body and are neither too close to the body, nor turned out. Pasterns are straight and upright. Dewclaws (front) should not be removed because the dew claws aid in gripping when preforming catch work on very large animals. Feet are round and medium in size. Toes are well arched and tight. Fault: Splayed feet.
Hindquarters: Broad, well-muscled tapering on the leg to exhibit speed and strength. The width and Angulation of the hindquarters should be balanced with the width and angulation of the forequarters. Fault: Excess or lack of angulation. Upper Thigh is well developed with thick muscles. Lower Thigh is muscular and short. Hocks, when viewed from the side, are straight and parallel to one another. Dewclaws (rear) do not exist on the American Bulldog.
Coat: Short, close, and ranges from soft to stiff to the touch. Faults: long, fuzzy, feathering or wavy coats.
Color: The American Bulldog is traditionally white, but any color, color pattern, or combination of colors on the white coat is acceptable. Color combinations can include brown, black, brindle, red, or tan. Disqualification: Dogs that are solid black, any degree of merle, tri-color, blue, and a full black mask.
Gait: The American Bulldog gait is balanced, smooth and powerful, showing speed and agility. The gait should have a good reach in front and drive from behind. As speed increases, the feet move toward the center line of the body to maintain balance. The dog should not travel excessively wide, legs should not move on the same plane, and feet should not cross or interfere with each other. Top line should remain level and parallel to the line of motion with the head and tail held up in confidence. Faults: Movement faults are to be penalized according to the degree to which they interfere with the dog's ability to perform working tasks.
Temperament: The American Bulldog is loyal, reliable, brave, determined, and self-confident. It has strong protective instincts.

About the Breed:
American Bulldogs are a well-balanced athletic dog that demonstrate great strength, endurance, agility, and a friendly attitude. Historically, they were bred to be a utility dog used for working the farm.
The American Bulldog is a descendant of the English Bulldog. It is believed that the bulldog was in America as early as the 17th century. They came to the United States in the 1800s, with immigrants who brought their working bulldogs with them. Small farmers and ranchers used this all-around working dog for many tasks including farm guardians, stock dogs, and catch dogs. The breed largely survived, particularly in the southern states, due to its ability to bring down and catch feral pigs.
The breed we know as the American Bulldog was originally known by many different names before the name American Bulldog became the standard. In different parts of the South he was known as the White English Southern Bulldog, but most commonly just "bulldog." The breed was not called a bulldog because of a certain look, but because they did real bulldog work.

History:
The American Bulldog is a powerfully built dog whose original function was that of a farm utility dog and family companion and protector. The American Bulldog is thought to have been in the United States as early as the 1700s and many arrived with their owners and families during the 17th and 18th centuries. The breed was well known for their abilities for catching feral cattle and pigs and became a useful tool to the small farmers and ranchers. The breed largely survived, particularly in the southern states, due to this ability. The breed almost died out during WWI and WWII, with the only surviving dogs kept on farms primarily in the southeast. The two men who are recognized as the pioneers of bringing the breed back from possible extinction are John D. Johnson and Alan Scott.