𝟬𝟬𝟯. ❛ so much background ❜

Start from the beginning

"okay great," sunny responds with a sigh of relief, some of maisies anger already dissipating. she always struggles in staying mad at her. her name is sunny, for fucks sake. "sooo, you remember chris from the par—"

"my neighbor, you mean?" she cuts her off, blinking her low-lidded eyes a few times.

sunny clicks her tongue, taking in a breath before blowing it out. "yes, mais, your neighbor," she confirms before explaining further. "well, we kept talking after the party over facetime and texting and shit, you know?"

the corner of maisies lips twitch upwards, bringing the joint to her lips as she mumbles, "so you like like him huh?" she asks girlishly, allowing herself to be amused rather than thinking on how this is about the brother of the man she despises most and all.

"ugh, let me finish!" she groans, her voice already giving it all away. "he literally surprised me right when i was about to leave to come get you—like i mean fully showed up at my house."

"oh my god," maisie coughs out as she lets out the smoke from her last puff. after she's recovered and sunny has laughed a bit on the other line, maisie shakes her head in disbelief. "no way you got a guy in a literal band to settle. they're always groupies, i can't believe it."

she can practically feel her best friends eye roll. "i've been telling you, maisie, the more i talk to chris, the more i think they're really nice people," she tries to tell her, although to maisie, it's all gibberish. "from what he's told me, they seem really fun to be around."

"yeah, which you know my parents love," she responds sarcastically, setting the joint down into her lip shaped ashtray as it goes out. it's a bright red tray in the shape of kissy lips. she's currently sat in front of the railing of her bedrooms balcony. most people usually freak out over having her such a luxury of a balcony, but because of her parents, the wealth is all that she is used to. it's not like it's all sunshine and rainbows though, seeing as it's midnight on a thursday and they aren't even home. the only time she feels like her parents even truly see her as a person, is when they're finding something to scold her over.

her balcony though, is truly her safe haven. she's got a couch on one end of the balcony right against the railings, a knitted throw blanket over it, and a small table next to it with a drawer where she keeps all her shit. she can't smoke inside the house because the smell would be too strong, so she always just comes outside. she feels like she is making a statement every time she sits out here though, because she's on display for anyone passing by. it's usually never a problem for her though; she loves attention.

"oh please, since when do you listen to what your parents think anyways?" she says blankly, causing maisie to shut her mouth. "plus, you've been saying you want to enjoy our last summer as much as you can before you leave for college. what's more fun than hanging out with a band?"

"i don't know, killing myself maybe?" she responds with a laugh, pulling the blanket she brought from her bedroom around her shoulders. "god, do they even have a band name?"

"are you stupid? obviously," she responds dubiously. when a beat of silence passes, alluding that maisie is waiting for her to share the same, sunny sighs. "national saints. they introduce themselves as 'your national saints,'" she tells her.

"national saints?" she repeats judgmentally, her face scrunching up as she almost does not recognize the name at all until a vague blurred image of the band name on chris' drums enters her mind. it's also the dumbest thing she's ever heard, because matt is anything but a saint in her eyes. she blinks repeatedly before blowing out a breath. "stupid. i bet matt came up with it."

instantly, sunny is rolling her eyes on the other end. "you just had to find a way to bring him up," she shakes her head to herself, causing maisies jaw to drop in offense. instantly, she jumps to defend herself, but sunny continues talking before she can get a word in. "you can not complain about him to me after i saw the way you acted around him when you got alcohol in your system honestly."