chapter six

PURPLE really was my colour

PURPLE really was my colour. I couldn't help but twirl in my chariot outfit, staring at myself in the mirror of Marigold's designing room, which was only encouraged by Marigold's clapping. I wanted to stay in here forever, the cacophony of cheering, screaming and music had managed to reach the office; it was making my skin crawl.

"My dove, we have to go now, I do not want you being the last one ready." Dove. I had realised she started calling me that ever since we'd met. I didn't like it, being called a dove. A beautiful yet fragile creature, pure and unassuming. Maybe she called me that to distance herself, birds die all the time.

I looked toward her and nodded, giving myself one last once over in the mirror I let out a long sigh. I then met her at the door and she linked my arm in hers.

As we walked I became hyper aware of how loud the heels of my boots were, I had only just managed to perfect the art that was walking in heels, Marigold had made me wear them all morning, and I already wanted to rip them off my feet.

"Do you drink?" She suddenly asked.

"Uh-uh." I shook my head, wincing as the sounds of the crowd got closer and closer. In response, Marigold simply let out a quiet hum.

It was like magic, we turned one corner and suddenly we were bombarded with the rest of the tributes, their mentors and stylists. I took my arm back from Marigold to head to Alistar, who was standing by our carriage on his own. As I walked, I took a glance back at Marigold who gave me an exaggerated grin and mouthed something like 'Remember to smile'.

"Where's Poplin?" I asked Alistar, he was in a light green two piece suit, its fabric, colour and design complimenting my own ensemble. We even had matching jewellery.

He shuffled awkwardly on the spot, not used to wearing something so fancy. "She went to find me a stool, so we're similar heights in the chariot. She said if we were, people will take me more seriously." The horse behind him neighed and he jumped forward, I held back a giggle.

"Eight."

The voice came from behind me and was one I didn't recognise. With caution, I turned around and was met with a broad, tanned, bare chest that had sparkly seaweed haphazardly decorating it. Looking further up, I saw an equally broad set of shoulders and a sharp jaw line. The boy from District Four.

He purposely dragged his eyes slowly up my body, smirking when our eyes met. He was tall, taller than Marcellus, something I didn't think was possible. He ran his tongue over his teeth and let out a bark-like laugh. "You look good."

It was then that Alistar surprised both me and District Four, he stood between us, glaring up at the tall boy. "Leave her alone."

District Four laughed, a seemingly genuine one that caught the various attentions of other tributes. "That's precious... You gonna protect her little man?" He laughed again and took a small step back. He then eyed me once more, raising a brow. "Seriously, you look good." He spun on his heel, sauntering off.