Shadows

Catherine

I walked up to my apartment building , and the only light available was the one from the moon. My body was on high alert,my eyes literally scanning the area at every sound.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps behind me, and I picked up my pace. The footsteps pounded faster. I began running, and whoever was following ran as well.

I bumped into something hard,hands held my arms. My fear and panic increased, and I trashed, trying to get out of the person's grip.

"Catherine,it's me -" my fist came in contact with his jaw

"Let go of me!" I screamed, still kicking. A hand came up to my cheek

"You're okay," the voice said soothingly. I looked up to get a look at the person's face,it was the guy from the bus

"It's okay, Catherine,you're safe." I stared into his green eyes, and I could see the concern in them, and it helped to ease away the fear in mine.

Seeking that I'd calmed down, he let go of my arm. "Are you following me ?" I asked my mind suddenly alert again.

"No, I live a few blocks away, and I was taking a walk to clear my mind," he said,eyes still searching my face. "You okay?"he said, looking over my shoulder, searching behind me. I turned around and saw no one there.

Was I hallucinating?

I turn back and see him still looking at me in goncern and something else that I hate... pity .

"How do you know my name?"

"We met 10 years ago,we were in the clan,"

"You escaped?"

"Do you remember the boy who used to make fun of you and throw stones at you?"

I try to look back on my memories, but I don't seem to remember . I shake my head to say no

"Well, I escaped from the clan. I had some questions to ask you, which is why I was at the bar yesterday. "

I stay silent for a while, analyzing his story. " I'm Elias, by the way," he said, interrupting my thoughts.

"Well,thanks, Elias, but I have to get home now"

"Wait,can I get your number, I have some questions for you on the clan"

"Look, I'm really trying to forget that part of my life and I don't really want to talk about it"

"I understand. If you change your mind, call me. " he took out a marker and scribbled something down on a piece of paper, and handed it to me

He gave me a once-over "I could walk you if you want." I stared at him for a few minutes before nodding