You ☆ Gifting Sleep [Part 5]

Start from the beginning

Hmmm, but maybe.... Maybe your type was... someone who makes you feel safe and happy? Someone who is easy-going yet sensible? Someone who loves you for who you were? Someone who is always there for you? Someone who is truthful? Someone who... has a beautiful smile?

To be honest, you weren't really sure. It was confusing to say the least, especially because you never really thought about it. You just assumed that you would love and be with whoever you fall for, but then again... reality wasn't always that nice.

"I'll get going. You guys keep eating." You placed your utensil down, ready to head back to your room and wait for midnight (totally not because you wanted to avoid an awkward conversation). You should also prepare the devil crepe you got for Belphegor in a nice box before your visit. He would be even more delighted if you told him it was recommended by his twin. They had such a sweet relationship.

❁❁❁

"Belphie!"

"You're finally here." His eyes almost looked as if it was glittering when he greeted you.

"You look like you're in a good mood, did something happen?"

"Yes, the pillow you gave me was very comfortable. I had a great sleep. Also–" He handed you a pillow with white and black swirls. "This is for you. I cast a spell on it so that if you keep it close to you while you sleep, it will catch all your nightmares so you can have a peaceful nap."

"So, basically a pillow dream-catcher?"

"You can think of it like that."

How did he even know that this was exactly what you needed? Was this a coincidence or were the eye bags from lack of sleep that obvious? It didn't really matter because either way you were really grateful. You beamed at his consideration. "Thank you so much!"

"No problem."

Suddenly, you were struck with a realization. How could you forget? You were here in the first place to give some of the food you packed for him. "Oh! Here. Beel recommended this crepe so I decided to get one for you!" You passed the food through the bars. "I also got a Sushi family pack for us to share."

"Why..."

"Hm? Is something wrong?" What happened with Belphegor? He looked as if he had a lot on his mind.

"Why are you being so nice, giving me so many things?" He tilted his head, staring at your intently.

That was it? He was asking why you were being so nice to him...? Well, you pitied him so–

Actually... no... you didn't know anymore. Did you really only pity him considering everything you did for him? Was it really just pity? Could pity cause someone's mind to be constantly occupied with one person? Always thinking about him, how he was doing, what he would like.... No. It definitely wasn't pity. It was something more. Something like... curiosity and interest? The feeling of wanting to get to know him more, to get closer to him, to become friends with him.... Yes, that was it. You wanted to be his friend.

What started of as pity now became the desire to understand him, to make him happy, to develop a deeper relationship than lifeline and captive—you wanted to be his friend.

"I want to get to know you better, to be your friend, "

"You want to become friends with me?" He looked shocked but... something was wrong. His gaze peered directly at you as if he could see through your soul. He seemed... terrifying. Like he would kill you at any moment.

Why did he look like that...? Did you say something wrong? Was he alright?

"Seriously? 𝘼 𝙝𝙪𝙢𝙖𝙣 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪?"

Your head started to throb. You could barely keep your eyes open as his hand reached through the bars to touch your cheek. Then... blood.

"B-belphie?!"

"Oh... ops. I think I took that too far.... Now, what should I do? I still need you to want to save me...." He traced his finger around the wound before his hand slowly crept up to cover your eyes. "Aha... I have an idea."

You tried to step back but no matter what you did you couldn't pull yourself away. Instead, you just stayed rooted to the ground with no idea of what was going on.... But there was one thing you knew... and that was the fact that you felt... so... sleepy.... Just what in the Devildom was happening to you? It hurt. It hurt so much. Your body felt like it was going to rip open. Everything seemed so dark and hopeless. Your consciousness was fading away—fast—before you could even cling to it. You could feel it.... Your mind was... your memories were being locked away, slipping into a jar that was your dreams. Emotions and memories and thoughts all caged away to a deeper consciousness that you could only find in your sleep.

Everything was hazy, a blur, a hallucination, so very like a horrible fever dream... and it all was exactly how Belphegor wanted it.

No... please...

The last thing you remembered was Belphegor smiling softly—a contrast to the craze look in his eyes. "Enjoy your nap..."