Chapter 19

(Third Person POV)

Velvet, Veneer, and Val leave the room. And with everything silent, Poppy, Branch, and Tiny lower themselves out of the vent.

They approach the closet and open it. There, Rhonda looks at them with a small smile.

After a few seconds, she spits Crimp out of her mouth, who lands on the floor face-first. Crimp gets up and looks at the trolls with sad eyes.

"Oh, it looks like you need a hug," Poppy says with a caring tone of voice.

Not even saying anything, Crimp brings Poppy into a hug and starts to cry.

"Okay, now, who's sibling is this now?" Tiny asks before putting a baby pacifier in his mouth.

(Val's POV)

Here I am now...sitting in a car driving Velvet and Veneer to the Rage Dome entrance. The vehicle itself is pretty different from what I'm used to. The front row is a single seat with a steering wheel. And the row behind me is a two-seater, where the two siblings are sitting.

As we get closer, a person with a microphone speaks to the fans who stand on the sidelines. "All right, Rageons. Now is the moment we've all been waiting for. Everyone put your hands up for Life Award recipients, that tantalizing twosome, Velvet and Veneer!"

I press on the brake and the vehicle comes to a stop at the red carpet. We are immediately bombarded with cheers, as well as star-shaped cameras hovering around us.

Velvet and Veneer wave at the crowd happily. I don't do anything but lean on the steering wheel. And I'm making sure to keep a normal yet plain attitude in front of everyone.

"I love you!" A fan shouts from the crowd.

"Thank you! We love you too!" Velvet says. She turns to her brother, now facing away from the crowd. "Okay, how's my aura?"

"Confident-yet-grateful-to-your-teachers-and-everyone-who-got-you-here-tonight?" Veneer asks confidently.

"That's what I'm going for," Velvet says afterward.

I roll my eyes as I sit at the front, resting my head on my palm.

"Is that a human?!"

Oh, great. Here we go. Now people are starting to notice me. Because the moment I perk up after hearing the word "human," everyone is looking in my direction, the cheering never stopping. If anything, it is a lot louder than before.

Veneer happily grabs my shoulder while looking at everyone. "Look at that! They're definitely hyped up for us now! It's a good thing we brought you along."

"Yeah, good thing," I say sarcastically with a fake smile.

Without a second to lose, Velvet and Veneer hop out of the vehicle and make their way to the crowd. Velvet goes to the right to take pictures while Veneer goes to the left to give autographs.

The cameras are still on them, and the same goes for me. Still keeping the fake persona, I wave at some people who still looking in my direction. And unfortunately, there's no way I can sneak away even if I want to.

Rhonda's roar catches everyone's attention. And there she is standing at the stairs with Crimp. Rhonda jumps down and lands in front of Velvet and Veneer, who step back a bit.

"Velvet and Veneer!" Branch's voice says through a speaker. Rhonda opens her mouth, and he slides out. "Give us back Val and my brothers!"

Rhonda's door opens and Poppy jumps out. "Yeah! What he said!"

I smile in relief upon seeing them.

"You don't know what you're talking about, troll," Velvet says as she leans forward.

Poppy glares up at them. "You're stealing BroZone's talent because you have none of your own, you big--Oh, you big phonies!"

The fans around us gasp and murmur among themselves.

As Velvet and Veneer cover the compartments on their shoulder pads with their hands, they start to back up nervously. "Okay, we need to leave. Right now," Velvet mutters to Veneer.

I sigh frustratedly when they run over to the car. I feel Velvet pat my head, indicating for me to drive away. And it's not like I have a choice in the matter, so I press on the gas and turn the car around.

I drive along the edge of the road, and I'm sure Poppy and Branch are following after us. I am about to turn the corner, but Velvet comes up behind me and grabs the wheel.

"Wait, what are you doing?" I ask in surprise.

Velvet doesn't respond. Instead, she turns the wheel and sends the car flying off the edge. And despite that happening, the star-shaped cameras continue to follow us.

I hold onto the seat tightly and stop myself from screaming in terror. But it's a good thing there are other roads below us.

The vehicle lands on one of the roads, and as I drive past multiple cars, Velvet stands up. "What's up, Mount Rageous? You didn't think we were just gonna give you a boring old stage show, did you?" she says to everyone.

"That's what we explicitly bought tickets for!" A fan says from one of the cars driving by.

"We're taking this show on the road!" Velvet adds.

The fans cheer once again and follow behind us in their own vehicles,  which is something I'm kind of worried about. There's no way Rhonda is going to be able to get through this traffic.

I turn around to see if I can find them in the crowd. But I can't, unfortunately.

That is when I notice Velvet and Veneer smirking at each other. They both press a purple button on their chest plate, and a sparkling essence surrounds them.

Velvet's eyes glow pink, and Veneer's eyes glow red. They both stand up at the back of the car and start to sing.

Velvet, Veneer:

Sweet dreams are made of this

Who am I to disagree

I traveled the world and the seven seas

Everybody's looking for something.

Velvet presses a button up from where she's standing, which causes the car to zoom faster down the road. Purple glitter also shoots out from the back for a little effect. The sudden acceleration catches me off guard, and I put both hands on the wheel. The last thing I want is for the car to lose control and fall off.

I know I'm supposed to be hating these two right now. But, damn, why does this song actually sound pretty good?