Chapter 10

(Val's POV)

Branch goes to the back of the vehicle with Poppy and John Dory, who are by the board of pictures and magazines. "Guys, will Floyd even make it through that show?"

"Don't worry. We're gonna make it. We've been looking for clues to find Clay," Poppy says as she and John Dory stare at the board in concentration.

Branch shakes his head. "Oh, I'm sorry. The clue board? You mean my clue board? That I made?" When the silence remains, he gives them a blank stare and says, "We like the clue board now?"

I can't see what's going on behind me, so all the information I'm gathering is from what they are saying to each other.

"What is he wearing?" Poppy asks as she, my guess, points to a picture of Clay.

"Oh. Those are just his...funderdrawers," Branch says, sounding as if he has an idea.

"Funderdrawers?" I ask from the driver's seat.

I hear glass break and Branch saying, "John Dory, I have no idea why you saved these. It's incredibly disgusting, but I'm glad you did."

"What? They're memorabilia," John Dory says in his defense. "But I will be good gosh-darned if I know how they're gonna help us find Clay."

Without saying a second word, Branch comes up next to me at the front and opens the window. He places the garment onto a stick and holds it out for Rhonda to sniff. "Help us, Rhonda. She's got the scent."

Well, now that Rhonda is focused on where to go, I don't have to worry too much about driving. So I lean back a bit in my seat, one hand still on the steering wheel.

With Bruce still to my left, John Dory appears at my right. "Hey, Val. You see that button?"

I lean my right arm on the armrest and look at an orange swirly button with the word "Hustle" above it. Knowing where this is going, I say, "Yeah."

"That beautiful, shiny button?" John Dory asks with excitement.

"You mean the very mesmerizing button that is just asking to be pressed? Yeah, why?" I ask while smirking in his direction.

"Press it," John Dory dares as he leans closer.

I don't even have to be told twice. I immediately reach over and press the button.

Rhonda runs down the road faster, and a swirly portal opens up in front of us. She jumps in and takes us through the portal as music plays around us.

So many bright colors surround us, and it almost feels like a daze. I know we are all still in the vehicle, but so much of this hustle makes it seem like we are traveling through a world of rainbow colors that never have an ending.

Rhonda eventually jumps out of another portal and we land back on the road.

I get out of the daze and land on the seat with Tiny in my hands. "Whoa..." I mutter to myself.

"Wow. Too much hustle is a thing," Poppy says from the back.

"Huh. Look at that," Branch says as he stares at his hand, which moves with rainbow afterimages.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once Rhonda comes to a full stop, we exit. The surroundings are very dark and eerie, especially since it's night.

In front of us is a large stone wall that surrounds whatever's inside. And there are signs everywhere. But it's pretty difficult to see what they say.

"Are we sure this is where Clay lives?" Branch asks us.

"Are we sure?" Tiny asks as he sits in a baby carrier that's attached to Bruce. "Our GPS is an armadillo bus sniffing used undies. So, no, we're not sure."

"Well, I trust Rhonda, "I say as I walk to the entrance with caution.

Bruce shivers from how scary our surroundings look. "I think this is the place from every true crime podcast I've ever listened to."

I tense as he says that. Now I definitely have my guard up as I observe around us.

We walk along a grassy path deeper into this place. And from what I'm getting at, since it's so dark here, this is a mini-golf course.

"Halt!" A voice says as the lights turn on. In front of us is a mechanical clown head. "Who goes there?" The voice says from the clown.

We all scream at the sight of it.

"Who dares trespass on these sacred grounds?" the voice says.

As I start to calm down, Branch approaches the mechanical clown.

"Branch, what are you doing?" John Dory asks nervously.

"Listen," Branch says to the voice, "we don't want any clown-related trouble, okay? We're just here looking for our brother Clay."

After a few seconds, the voice says, "Wait a second. You're trolls?"

"Yeah, and a human. So what? You're a clown," Branch says.

I step closer to Branch. "Uh, I don't think this is really a clown, Branch."

Immediately afterward, a yellow fuzzy-looking golf ball bounces out of the clown's mouth. But once it lands in front of us, a pink troll with yellow, wavy hair pops out.

She gives us a cheerful smile. "Oh, my gosh. Hello! My name is Viva! It is so 'fantastamazing" to see other trolls."

I stare in surprise as she hugs each one of us.

Now standing in front of Poppy, she says, "So, 'fantastamazing' is my own personal word. It means, um, fantastic and amazing. I used to say 'amastic,' but then I was like, 'Hmm, that's not as good.'"

"'Fantatamawesome,'" Poppy says, trying to make up a word like how Viva did.

"That's different, but that works too. Way to make it your own," Viva says.

Poppy leans over to me and Branch. "Is this how people feel when they meet me?"

I nod while Branch whispers, "Yes."

Viva pops out from beside all energetic. "Am I being a lot? Sometimes I can be a lot."

Branch looks around. "I'm not sure we're in the right place."

"Course you're in the right place. Any troll...and human, is welcome here with us," Viva says before clapping her hands together. "Okay, Putt-Putt trolls. Lights on for our new friends!"

More trolls like Viva roll out as golf balls before standing up and looking at us with welcoming smiles.

The whole place lights up. Now I am able to see everything even clearer than before. There are so many golf courses and statues. At least this place isn't scary anymore.