"yes," eren was stern, and his voice faltered, trying to keep the softness to it. "how do you feel?" now he was apprehensive, like he wasn't sure exactly what to say. his fingers fumbled in mine.

i giggled at his composure, regretting it when the pain shot through my neck, "kinda shitty." with another deep breath, i tried to assess myself. a new feeling sprung in my stomach, "and hungry," i mumbled. it was an odd feeling; i was craving to fill it, but my once favorite foods sounded revolting in my mind. i needed blood; the thought came naturally, like my body already knew what it was craving.

eren moved to sit next to me on the couch, leaning my torso to lay on his lap. i followed his movements, tucking myself as close as i could, "i'll text jean." i felt my nerves spark in my body, memories of jean flashing before my eyes. what would he think? reality slowly began to seep into my mind. "is that even safe?"

eren had gone missing for a year; what if that was how long i needed to adjust to my new body? i would have to uproot my ent- "it is," eren snapped me out of my thoughts, definitive in his answer, "bloodlust doesn't work like the movies," i peered at his face. suddenly, his features were genuinely soft, almost amused. "it's not strong enough for you to randomly jump on people and suck their veins," i laughed lightly through my nose, trying to avoid further irritation on my neck. where the bite must be.

he continued, "it's a subtle hunger that will always be there, but it won't control you if you feed often," his words already resonated with me. i was hungry; but it was deep within my body. it resided as a solid pit in my body; i wasn't sure it would ever feel satisfied.

"blood will help with the pain," he moved from between my legs, coming up to sit next to me. he was careful about touching my body. he quickly took out his phone, before guiding my body into his arms.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

eren's room was different to me now. i was hunched over the bed; my face stuffed in the sheets. vanilla tinged at my nose; and something else i couldn't quite place. maybe cedarwood. his room had never smelled like anything, just the faint scent of me. but now it seemed less cold to me, more lived in.

the door to his room was closed, but i could hear the front door open. eren thought it would be best to tell jean without me present. i didn't really have any energy to argue. it was muffled, but i wouldn't have been able to hear anything before. i really underestimated everything about vampires. i was starting to understand the appeal. maybe.

jean's voice felt distant, but it was still clear in my mind, "what happened to her?" he seemed frantic; pants of heavy breathing could be heard. "zeke bit her," his breaths picked up even harder. i couldn't see his face, but i knew jean well enough to know how his features would be scrunched. his expression would show fear and uncertainty.

"is she?" his voice trailed as the last word got choked up in his throat. he didn't continue, but eren seemed to understand where he was going, "no," he heaved a sigh, "but she turned." silence filled my ears. white noise started to take over: the sound of the faucet dripping, the ac blowing warm air into the apartment. time stood still for what felt like years.

a slam filled my ears, followed by a grunt. like one of them had pushed the other into a wall. i started to tune it out unwillingly. the throbbing throughout my body seemed to get worse. the pain was almost nauseating. but jean's voice was loud, and it rang in my ears, "you fucking let this happ-"

his shout was quickly cut off by eren, who sounded too calm, "she can hear you,"

"where?" his response was curt. their voices stopped, followed by soft shuffling.