eight-mile

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

chapter 5: eight-mile

content warnings: descriptions of blood; sexual content if you squint

the drive to the lake was quiet; but little tension hung between eren and i. the closer we got to the lake, the more eren's features began to relax; he seemed more at ease than i had ever seen him. the low music was overpowered by the sound of gravel shaking beneath the tires. "damn.." i said in awe of jean's lakehouse. the last time i was here it looked closer to a cabin; now it looked completely different with extra rooms they must've built recently.

eren laughed through his nose; eyes softening as if he really realized where we were. "his parents have been planning renovations for years," eren pulled his handle, opening the door to get out. "yeah.. renovations," i whispered to myself still scanning my eyes over the building.

eren walked over to my side of his car, opening the door. he didn't stay to close it, instead heading for the open trunk. it was hard to feel the woodland air around me with my clothes. well, eren's clothes. with the 'dorm situation' i didn't exactly have anything to pack, so i left his apartment wearing his sweatpants and a t-shirt. both were humorously large on me.

"HEY!" jean's loud yell could be heard from the distance, but it wasn't a greeting towards us. connie exited the front doors, being pushed out by jean, "i told you, don't make a mess!" eren and i exchanged glances; i hid my laugh in my shoulder. "you can sleep with the birds tonight," jean growled before walking back into his house and slamming the door.

it was then that connie noticed us, "good mood, huh," he motioned over his shoulder at the closed door. "always is," i smiled. he closed the distance between us, wrapping me in a bear hug, "i'm glad you're okay though," there was no humor in it; a rare occurrence for connie. "yeah.. and sasha? she's okay, right? she's not lying," i probed, concerned she might be hiding her well-being in an attempt not to worry me.

"yup, she's all good," he turned his attention to eren, opening his arms wide for another hug, "and ere-bear i'm glad you're okay too!" he mocked in a baby voice. eren was quick to shove him away, disgust lined his features. "get away from me baldy," his tone was aggressive but it didn't scare off connie.

connie opted to poke his cheek; or attempt at least. his hand was slapped away at lightning speed. the hard sound echoed through the trees. "well damn," connie laughed, shaking out his hand. he made a movement toward the beach, "come on, jean wants the bonfire set up," he directed towards eren.

he followed in connies footsteps, "can you bring in my bag?" he asked, "it's just in the trunk." his voice was almost perky. the tone sounded weird at first; but i liked this change.

in their absence, i could hear the cicada's chirping loudly. it's just as beautiful as i remember. the house overlooked the lake, raised a few feet on a shallow hill. there was one neighboring dock across the water, but it was otherwise desolate for miles. the large trees covered most of the land, becoming dense in the areas where the road and house weren't.

turning my attention to the open trunk, i grabbed the single bag out, carrying it into the house. i could faintly hear jean lecturing sasha about food in the kitchen. walking to the noise; i laid my eyes upon them. jean looked the same, but sasha looked tired. like she was losing sleep over the break in. couldn't blame her. "y/n!" she squealed, shooting up from her chair, enveloping me in my second bone-crushing hug today.

"hey, sash!" i tightly wrapped my arms around her torso, "i missed you!" i said with sincerity. i felt a hand on my shoulder, weaning me away from sasha, "no pda in my house. you guys see each other almost everyday anyway," jean spoke while shaking his head. "actually it's not your house, it's mommy's" i snapped back at him.