"Third miss....."

"Lady Hui, I want to ask a favor and trouble you to send a message over to my maternal grandfather's side. Just say Yan Yan misses grandfather, and have him send someone to pick me up...."

Lady Hui froze and then said: "Alright. Third miss, I'll head over right away."

Yan Yan let out an "en" and said: "The one surnamed Pei will definitely be on guard. You definitely won't be able to leave during the day. No matter. Whatever she's afraid of is what I'm going to do. From now on, I'll have her cry to the heavens for finally pushing me over the edge."

......

The Zhenguo Duke naturally wouldn't believe nothing was wrong when Lady Hui came to the Zhenguo Duke Estate in the middle of the night to deliver a message.

Why would she come in the middle of the night, saying Ah Yan missed her grandfather and wanted him to send someone to fetch her?

Who was the Zhenguo Duke? He the left marshal of the five armies marshal estate, commander-in-chief of all the troops under the heavens. He had been involved in politics for several decades. How could he be unable to tell the seriousness of the situation?
He frowned and asked Lady Hui just what exactly was going on. Lady Hui was unflustered, merely saying that the miss had been locked up by the madam for several days. She refused to say anything more, merely saying that it was better for the lord duke to ask the miss herself.

Without wasting any time, the Zhenguo Duke summoned his second son Shen Ding's wife bright and early the next morning, and had her make a trip to the Weiyuan Marquis Estate. He summarized the situation and told her to bring Ah Yan out no matter what.

Second Madam Shen was surnamed Shi. Her name was Yan Dan. Shi Yan Dan was from the Shandong Province, where the Shi household was a large and influential clan. Although they didn't appear in court, the clan had profound accumulations which had been passed down over centuries. In theory, a household like the Zhenguo Duke Estate could have anyone they wanted as a daughter-in-law. However, the Zhenguo Duke Estate had never cared about a person's status, only their character. Rumor had it that the Shi clan's upbringing was strict and rigorous, and the women that came from the clan were all wise in mind and rich in character, all virtuous talents. After confirming these rumors through several methods, they finally sought out Shi Yan Dan for marriage.

After Shi Yan Dan married over, she was modest and prudent, elegant and easy-going, dignified and magnanimous as expected. She showed filial piety towards her in-laws and was loving towards her husband. She also got along well with her sisters-in-law. Furthermore, because the eldest lord Shen Dong guarded the nation's border, his family was stationed there. Therefore, managing the household became Shi-shi's responsibility. She managed things strictly and impartially, and was praised by everyone both inside and outside the estate.

Such a madam was naturally an astute person. Hearing her father-in-law's summary and seeing his stern expression, Second Madam Shen had already figured a few things out.

She had her carriage prepared and led a group of maids and grannies in a majestic procession towards the Weiyuan Marquis Estate.

Since they were relatives, the first thing upon arrival was naturally to pay respects to Old Madam Yan.

At this moment, the doors to the Rongan Hall were opened wide, and a group of well-trained maids were lined up on either side. They all had their heads lowered respectfully. Second Madam Shen first saluted Old Madam Yan respectfully before taking a seat, partaking in some refreshments and started the conversation.

Before long, Second Madam Shen brought up the main topic, saying her in-laws missed their granddaughter and wanted to bring Ah Yan back to stay for a few days to alleviate their heartache.
One wouldn't have a guilty conscience if one didn't do anything wrong! When Old Madam Yan heard these words, she first thought something had to be up. Otherwise, why would they not mention bringing their two grandsons over, and only mentioned Ah Yan?