Does she regret it?

Does she regret not spending her days comfortably in exchange for turning a blind eye? She was just a child and didn't need to bother with adult matters!
But how could she turn a blind eye?! This was Ah Mo, the small and soft Ah Mo who always cutely called her big sis!

Matron Qin had once pulled her over and told her: people who are too intelligent suffer more!

Yan Yan understood what she meant. She could just as well act dumb and pass her days. She was currently ten years old, and in six or seven more years she could be married off. All these annoyances would have nothing to do with her in the future!

But Yan Yan also understood that people were greedy, and that their greed knew no bounds. Just like how in the past Concubien Pei would always be respectful towards her mom while only making minor moves in the dark, but now with the old madam's support, she actually twisted the truth and said Yan Hong didn't push Yan Mo into the water.
Even if it had truly been an accident, a slip up due to naughtiness, those maids and grannies by their side weren't children. Why did they dare stand there watching the show, and still complain after being reprimanded by her? Wasn't it because they were influenced by their mistress's attitude?

Concubine Pei's influence within the estate grew day by day since she was her dad's cousin and the old madam's niece. Her mom was simpleminded and Concubine Pei also managed the estate. Her power flourished.

The estate's servants could clearly see the old madam and the marquis's intent, and they all kissed Concubine Pei's stinking feet. Those who couldn't see things clearly still followed along with everyone else. Everyone would show a reverent expression when Concubine Pei was mentioned, but any mention of the proper Weiyuan Marquis's madam was inexplicably avoided.

Watching the bits and pieces as she grew older, Yan Yan understood what was going on but Shen Yi Yao herself had never understood. She was still immersed in her marital bliss and loving relationship with her husband.

In her eyes, her lord husband was good, her mother-in-law was good and even those concubines whom her lord husband took pity on and married were also good. Everyone in the estate was good, and even if they weren't, there was definitely a good reason for it. The only thing that wasn't good was this cherished yet troublesome daughter of hers, Yan Yan.

As the only one who saw things clearly, Yan Yan didn't want to and didn't dare play dumb. She couldn't afford to bet on this. She didn't know what would happen to Ah Mo next if things were downplayed this time.

Misdeeds needed to be punished to prevent them from reoccurring. If they continued to tolerate, the offender would only grow bolder and bolder. Their actions would also grow more savage.

Yan Yan also knew this was merely treating the symptoms and not the root cause, but she was young and powerless. She had a mom who had the right to intervene, but wasn't astute enough to do so. Otherwise, she wouldn't have to suffer so.

Yan Yan hugged her knees as she sat there, suddenly feeling so very cold.

This sort of bone-chilling cold had been assaulting her constantly ever since she started understanding things, but at this moment it suddenly spread rapidly.

**

After the two grannies locked up the small worship hall, they walked away without looking back.

The small worship hall was in the most remote western corner of the estate, and to get back they had to pass through a set of doors. Matron Qin had come back with them, and seeing her hurry off to the residence one of the old grannies couldn't help but laugh mockingly.