Mid sigh, I take a seat on the barstool.

"Ever like someone so much but hate a part of them so badly?"

The bartender furrows her eyebrows in thought while she fills my glass from the beer tap.

"Yeah, I think so. Life is full of messy complications."

She places the glass in front of me, looking a bit apologetic.

Before she's able to fully retract her arm, the glass is already to my lips.

"Thanks," I mumble, raising the glass like a one-sided cheers. The bartender looks a little confused I'm leaving already, but sometimes that's all you need to say.

Back at the table, Shannon and May are missing and Sadie is on her phone.

"Where did they go?" I ask, scratching my head in confusion. I was sitting at the bar facing the exit and didn't notice them walk out.

Sadie shrugs, her attention locked on her screen.

"Shannon saw you flirting with the bartender over there and..."

"Holy shit, Sadie, she said one sentence to me!" I chime in immediately, trying to fathom the fact Shannon called that flirting.

Sadie's cheeks are puffed out and blushed like she's holding in a laugh. Her face is a dead giveaway that she's just messing with me.

Relieved, I exhale and sit down.

"Bathroom," She says now, putting her phone back in her purse.

"Quickie?"

I have to ask.

"Ew," Sadie playfully slaps my arm, "don't ever want to think about that. Probably just... normal things."

I laugh and then twist my face, "that doesn't sound any better."

It's quiet for a few seconds as we both take a drink.

"How is our date going?" Sadie is suddenly a little more serious than a few seconds ago. She turns to face me, sitting criss cross. Her eyes are intense and she props her head on her fist.

"What? Isn't that something we're supposed to keep secret until it's over?"

Sadie tilts her head, shaking it.

"What? No."

"Okay, then how is our date going, Sadie?" I turn to face her, putting my elbow up onto the back of the booth.

Sadie's eyes pivot to her lap, where she moves both of her hands.

Quietly, she says, "it would be a lot better if Shannon and May weren't here anymore."

This response takes me by surprise. No back and forth, no teasing, just an answer. A good answer, at that.

"So, maybe you want to come back to my apartment?"

I know this question is pretty direct and a bit bold, but it means the alcohol is working. I think at this point, we all feel it.

Sadie tucks some hair behind her ear, opening her mouth for a moment without saying anything, like her words are frozen.

"I think that would be really cool, but –"

I shake my head, "you don't have to. I didn't mean it like that."

"I know," Sadie looks at me and smiles a little, "you're not like that. You're a really good guy."

Fire alarms go off in my head. I'm a good guy, and we all know what happens to good guys. Really, I should feel good about this, but it only makes me feel uneasy.