Chapter 5: Gentleman Behaviour

Turned out the bouncer's name was Aidan. We had to wait ten minutes for him to be replaced at the door before he could escort me inside and he introduced himself and then tried to make small talk, but my mind was spinning so fast I don't even know if my answers made sense. Eventually he stopped trying to engage me in conversation. Every now and then he'd give me a small smile and say.

"You good?"

I'd nod. It was a lie but I'd nod anyway. He knew I was lying. I could tell by his face. I wasn't sure right now if I'd ever be good again. 

Once another giant tattooed man took over Aidan's duties we headed inside. He curled me into his side so we could walk through the crowd that was standing around the bar. This place was packed. Who knew so many men ogled naked women every night. Not me. 

A gorgeous woman with a platinum blonde bob headed our way.

"Please tell me she's here to try out. She's stunning and that whole innocent vibe will drive these idiots wild." 

"Sorry Bess she's actually here looking for her partner. Seems he's been lying about where he is at night."

"Oh babe I'm sorry. Men are scum. It's why places like this are so popular. They're dumb, visual creatures who are always looking for the new and shiny."

I felt sick thinking of Grant like that. I'd always had such blind faith in him. He'd never given me any reason not to trust him. Never thought he'd seek out someone new and shiny. Well at least, not until this last few months. 

"I'm gonna walk her around and see if we can spot him. Don't want her doing it alone cause it's so packed in here tonight. Hate seeing her so upset."

"You're one of the good ones Aidan. Pity I don't fuck people I work with or I'd give you the night of your life."

I could hear their easy banter and laughter but it felt separate to me. I felt like I was inside a glass box and all my parts were slowly coming undone. Like I was only moments away from exploding into a million broken pieces.

"And you sweetheart, if you ever change your mind and need to make some quick money I'd have you on that stage in a heartbeat. You'd easily clear a grand a night. More if you did lap dances or private dances. We'd play up that innocence you've got and make you some bank." 

I felt myself blush at her compliments. I knew I wasn't ugly but I definitely wasn't as sophisticated as the women I'd seen walking through the room. I was far more girl next door than sexy bombshell.

Moving away from the bar we did a circuit of the room. Aidan would pause every few feet and let me subtly look for Grant at the surrounding tables and booths. 

Just when I thought maybe the App had been wrong, I spotted him. He was sitting at a booth with five other men. They were all dressed in suits and there were multiple empty glasses strewn across the table top. No wonder he wasn't able to drive home some nights. That amount of drinks would definitely put him over the limit. 

Aidan felt me tense beside him and turned himself to look where I was staring. 

"Which one is he?"

"He's the one at the edge of the booth. The one with the red head on his lap." 

"Oh fuck!"

No More Tomorrowsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें