VI

"Hyung-nim."

"Hm?"

"I don't know what you're up to but know that I'm here to support you."

Cale's eyes widened when Bassen said that. It's the same words that Bassen said to him when he decided to go into retirement and hide in the Supre Rock Villa. His brother's gaze had never changed. It seems that he's the only person who is always looking out for him.

"I know," Cale said, "but as the older brother... let me support you instead."

It was a big mistake.

"This is a noble's house, My Lord."

"No, Ron. It's different. We must cut the bud before it blooms," Cale said as he sat down.

Nothing will satisfy him until he sees Venion Sten rolling on the ground at his mercy.

"Young Master... Why are you like this?"

"Like what??"

"Like a bloodthirsty, suicidal madman?" Ron paused for a moment.

"Ron... have you ever felt the urge to despise someone but didn't know who to despise?"

Ron was curious.

"That's how I feel right now, Ron. I don't know who to hate... I don't know where to direct my rage, so I decided to direct it at myself." He smiled bitterly and continued, "to the point where I think it over and place that knife on my neck."

Even if Cale loathes Alver Crossman, he can't reach him yet. He wants to make his agony tenfold. He wants him to suffer slowly and painfully.

"You've never said anything like that before."

"Why would I?" Cale wondered. "Should being a bloodthirsty bastard or suicidal be something to be proud of? Should it be shared with others? Should it be let out in public for people to be sentimental about and make fun of?"

"No... My Lord..."

"That's right," Cale responded, "because just thinking about it hurts; no freak would confide his worries to people who will soon mock him, use sympathy for attention, or even force you to commit it; rather than making a fool of myself by asking for attention, wouldn't that attention be hurtful when betrayed?"

Life and death should not be a source of fascination.

However, in the name of sacrifices, sacrifice is made sacred.

Bassen locked his gaze on him for quite some time. He must be perplexed as to why Cale intends to rob a noble's residence.

"Bassen, you like kids, don't you?"

Bassen nodded. "I despise it when there are children involved."

"You will see why I am acting like this soon," Cale replied. He only wanted to save the dragon that was running amok in his first life, but he oversaw a fact. The worst was Venion Sten, who trafficked children.

He can not tell them he is on the verge of losing it. It is something that people should notice and consider rather than him seeking attention for what he lacks.

He intends not to lose himself in that pain and end it without giving up a fight.

It doesn't matter if everyone avoids him. It makes no difference if people despise him. He's not here to become their object of reverence and praise. He's here for revenge.

The things he is afraid of losing are the ones he will protect. He won't ask them to protect him. He will not request that they follow him. Cale just wanted them to live. Live the life they deserve.