1: The Beginning

All I could smell was blood.

"Nova? Nova!" I thrashed about in the binds that held my wrists and ankles to the floor. I tried over and over again to slam against the cuffs and break them, or even to break my hand and slip it out, but the metal was special and made to hold me here. "Nova!!" I looked down, watching my bloody wrists spray a fresh new coat from their wounds. It dripped to the floor rhythmically, forming a giant puddle beneath me. My reflection, a frightened, pale faced one, gave me a weakened feeling.

Was I dying?

"Cry all you want, my sweet," A voice whispered behind me. "He isn't coming. Nobody is coming. They don't even know you're here..." Footsteps in the darkness behind me echoed, coming closer. "They're both too busy trying to find your precious Night Spirit." I felt a cold blade slide around my neck, cupping it like a hand. "You're all mine."

I jumped from my slumped position at one of the public library's tables. Looking around anxiously, my hand shot up to my throat.

No blade.

I looked down at my wrists, feeling a strange stinging sensation from them.

No blood.

I sighed and sat back in my seat, checking the time. It was only one in the afternoon.
I began to think about why I came here.I knew it was to read up on something, but I couldn't remember what it was... It was something important...

I stretched in my seat and yawned, thinking about that dream. It was the first time I'd had it in a while, considering I hadn't slept in two... Maybe three weeks?

I expected to pass out at some point. Sleep is a nessecary part of life, as well as a decent diet, which I was not even close to following. I'd been living off protein bars and coffee these past few days just trying to fill the seemingly insatiable hunger I felt. They were the only things that kept me satisfied for more than an hour. It was almost this empty feeling inside me. I always wanted something else after I ate, but I've never been able to figure out what it was I wanted.
"Nova..." I said lowly, dragging out the name a bit. It felt so familiar, yet I know I've never heard the name before I had that dream. Who was it?

And who was that voice? The voice practically coated with slime?

"You're all mine..." A chill shot up my spine as the sentence reverberated in my mind.

"Hey, Jazz." I looked up into a pair of emerald green eyes. A giant, dorky, freckle faced ginger loomed over me with a smile on his face.

"Hey, Nate," I replied. He took a seat across from me, scowling.

"I told you not to call me that."

"And I told you not to stalk me." His eyes snapped up from the table and locked with mine.
"I wasn't stalking you! I was just checking out a book when I saw you sitting here--" I rolled my eyes and crossed my hands over my chest.

"You know I come here every Saturday at noon." I caught him off guard, the color practically jumping to his face.

"I...I.." His cheeks were on fire, so red it almost matched his hair.

"Let's face it, buddy," I said with a sarcastic smile, "you still have the hots for me." At this point, his ears were lighting up too.

"I do not!!" He exclaimed, receiving a shush from the librarian. I laughed quietly and waved his glare away.

"I'm kidding," I said, "I just like pushing your buttons."

"You're such a sadist..." He said, mumbling under his breath. He stared at the floor for a few seconds, waiting for the blush to die down a bit, then he looked back up at me, locking eyes once more.

"Are you alright?" He asked, after a moment of awkward silence. "you look a little pale,"
"I'm fine!" I hissed, standing up from my seat. I threw my bag over my shoulder, suddenly very irritated at his question.

"Jazz...?"

"I'll talk to you later," I said, storming through the library doors. I fished in my pocket for my keys, coming up empty.

"At least let me drive you home," he called to me, running out the door to catch up. "isn't your car still in the shop?"