Chapter 2 - You Got Nothin' On Me

Start from the beginning

To kill Leia? That explains the helmet damage, and nor does it make Vader feel any better about this.

"You were working with them?" he inquires, because he needs to focus, regardless of how he feels about it. He needs to assess threats and gain information, first.

"I am not on any side," she replies, sauntering down the ramp and removing her own helmet. Her hair's long. Or rather, she has hair in the first place – she didn't during the war, and it's a little weird to see. There's something softer, gentler about her presence that wasn't there before, and that's the only thing stopping him from lashing out.

"Then what were you doing down there?" Hunter asks, tensing and shifting forwards.

Vader moves forwards, gently pushing Hunter out of the way, mostly as a stand down gesture. If they start going at the ex-assassin, or maybe still assassin, she'll either stab them or break their necks. They don't have a defense like Vader and Leia do.

He also doesn't think they're any less wary about Ventress's presence than he is. Leia didn't grow up at that time, and she doesn't understand.

"They gave me an offer," Ventress snips back, "They offered me money. Didn't see a reason to refuse." Her eyes drift to Leia again. "But evidently, rumors are true that the Jedi've fallen past what I thought."

Many of them are, in fact, actually Fallen. Vader can't count the number he's seen with eyes burned sulfuric yellow from the Dark Side. And they claim they're righteous.

"What are you here for, then?" Vader asks, "Money?" He's okay with bounty hunters, so long as they have some sort of morals or at least honor. Most don't. Some do.

She clicks her tongue. "Always right to it, Skywalker. I'm always in for a good fight."

That is admittedly a lot like the person he used to know. She'd do anything for a good fight.

That doesn't guarantee anything, though. For all they know? This could just be a front for something far more sinister. She could be here to spy on them, could be feigning all this, and he has every intent of taking it up with Maul and Sidious to see what their opinions are. Sidious is far more familiar with Ventress than Vader himself, and he doesn't really know what to think about her.

Back in the end of the war, there were rumors that she'd returned to the Light, but he can't entirely say he believes it. And even if she did, it doesn't mean anything. There is a vast difference between being Light and being good or moral.

He suspected, too, that the Rebellion knew his name, his former identity. It doesn't matter, but he's still on edge at hearing it. He hasn't been Anakin with anyone since Padme died. Since Operation Knightfall and the should-have-been destruction of the Jedi.

The last time he saw Ventress was when Ahsoka left him, left the Jedi, and if she'd stayed, she could be with Vader now.

He wouldn't have been so alone.

He wouldn't have to worry about the Empire hurting her, about himself hurting her by accident, because she's fighting against him. He needs to tell Maul about Ahsoka, too, so he can start searching for her. Vader needs to find her again, to talk to her, but that's something he'll have to worry about later.

He needs to tell Leia about it, too. And Cody.

"And your... current intentions?" Vader inquires shortly, still facing Ventress.

She purses her lips. "Find whoever sent me after your new little pet."

"Why would that concern you?" Vader asks. Because really, she's a bounty hunter and she nearly killed Ahsoka during the war, and she was younger than Leia is now. Maybe Ventress has changed, but he'll trust it when he actually sees it.