VIII. SECOND YEAR

Nova lays in bed, shocked by what she just heard. A few days later, in the girls' bathroom, he tells Nova, Ron, and Hermione what he overheard. As they talk, Hermione and Nova work on the Polyjuice Potion.

Hermione: "Again"? You mean, the Chamber of Secrets has been opened before?

Ron: Of course. Don't you see? Lucius Malfoy must have opened it when he was at school here. And now he's taught Draco how to do it.

Hermione: Maybe. We'll have to wait for the Polyjuice Potion to know for sure.

Nova: Guys! As much as it pains me to say it, Lucius isn't that old!

Many people nod in agreement.

Ron: Enlighten me. Why are we brewing this potion in broad daylight in the middle of a girls' lavatory? Don't you think we'll get caught?

Hermione: No. No one ever comes in here.

Ron: Why?

Nova: Moaning Myrtle.

Ron: Who?

Just then, Moaning Myrtle, a ghostly girl in a Hogwarts uniform, appears behind Ron.

Nova: Moaning Myrtle.

Ron: [as Moaning Myrtle floats up to him] Who's Moaning Myrtle?

Myrtle: I'M MOANING MYRTLE! [she flies into the center of the room] I wouldn't expect you to know me. Who would ever talk about ugly, miserable, moping, Moaning Myrtle? [with a piercing cry, she flies into a toilet]

Hermione: She's a little sensitive.

"A little?!"

Professor Lockhart walks on to a stage in the middle of the Great Hall.

Lockhart: Gather round! Gather round! [students gather around the stage] Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent. In light of the dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little Dueling Club, to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves, as I myself have done on countless occasions. For full details, see my published works. [he pulls off the cape he's wearing and tosses it into the crowd, aiming for Nova, where it's caught by some of his adoring female fans] Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape. [looking very dour and menacing, Snape walks on to the stage] He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry, you'll still have your Potions Master when I'm through with him. Never fear.

Nova: I hope Snape destroys him. [Ron and Harry snort]

James and Sirius snort.

Snape and Lockhart walk up to each other, raise their wands, bow their heads, and then walk several paces back from each other.

Lockhart: One, two, three.

Snape: Expelliarmus!

The spell blasts Lockhart across the room.

Lockhart: WHOOOOOOOA!

Lockhart lands on his back, and a few students laugh at the sight. He struggles to his feet.

People were on the floor laughing.

Hermione: Do you think he's all right?

Nova: Who cares!

Lockhart: [walking back towards Snape] An excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape, but if you don't mind me saying, it was pretty obvious what you were about to do. If I had wanted to stop you, it would have been only too easy.