𝐛𝐞𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐠

Start from the beginning

"What?" Filomena asked, confused.

"The Maze," Thomas reiterated and Filomena gave an awkward giggle, unwilling to answer.

"Tried it," Newt answered as he plucked something off of the plant in front of him. "The ivy doesn't go all the way to the top. And besides. Where are you gonna go from there?" Thomas noticed Newt, Filomena and Zart all swap knowing looks but didn't say anything.

"Yeah well, what about the Box?" Thomas asked. "Next time it comes up you just jump-"

"No we tried that," Filomena interrupted.

"The Box won't go back down with someone in it," Newt finished for the girl.

Thomas didn't give up, ideas upon ideas swimming through his mind. "Ok well, what if we-"

"No, we tried it, alright?" Newt said, stopping what he was doing to face Thomas while leaning on the wooden trellis. "Twice, all right. Trust me, anything you think of, we've already tried it," The blond boy paused for a moment as Thomas let the words sink in. "The only way out of here is through the Maze," Thomas fiddled with the long shovel in his hand as more confusion washed over him.

Why were they here?

Why is Filomena the only girl?

And why a Maze?

"Now look, you wanna be helpful?" Newt asked as Thomas gave a small nod. The blond teen picked up the basket at his feet before chucking it at the brunet. "Here, go dig us up some more fertilizer." Zart laughed while Filomena smirked as Thomas struggled to catch the basket before begrudgingly heading towards the forest area.

。・:*:・゚★,‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾

Thomas trampled through the woods, unsure where he was headed and where he was meant to find fertilizer in the Glade besides where the animals were. He sighed. Of course, he was the one doing the disgusting work, Chuck had said that he was the one forced to do it when he was the Greenie but now that Thomas had come up into the Glade, it moved onto him. And of course, the fertilizer was going to be out in the middle of the woods. Thomas grumbled.

I thought Newt was the kind one. Seems he's just as mean as Filomena.

Thomas thought back to when the red-haired girl had given him that foul drink and shuddered.

No Filomena is way worse.

He continued trudging through the trees, almost slipping and tripping down the small hill. Thomas looked up to see an odd wooden structure and so he dropped the shovel and basket and made his way over to it. There were thick, wooden sticks woven and tied together with an animal skull in the middle of it. Under the skull, there was a plank of wood with the name 'George' engraved on it.

It's a grave, Thomas realized. The area was oddly silent except for the sound of insects buzzing. He turned his head to look at the ground behind him and noticed bloody human bones scattered around him. His stomach curled in at the sight and his heart started banging against his ribcage painfully. Thomas slowly stood up and glanced around his surroundings, cautiously. He turned around to see a familiar blond standing across from him, shoulders heaving and head down. The other teen was Ben, one of the Runners who had walked past with Minho, the Keeper, a day earlier.

"Oh uh...," Thomas' chest heaved as he took in deep breaths to compensate for the fright he had gotten from the other teen. "Ben right? I don't know if we, uh, ever..." Thomas trailed off when he realized that the blond boy had blood around his mouth and that his breaths were uneven and heavy. "Hey, are you ok?" Ben let out an unnatural noise before he tackled Thomas to the ground. "Get the hell off me!" Thomas shouted as he struggled against the taller teen.