3 - Welcome to the Coffee Shop

I put my plants in the room I'm staying in and lock myself in. I went out and bought new pots and soil for the plants since the pots had broken. I listen to Paul Anka's Put Your Head On My Shoulder on a loop as I work. 

I hear a knock on the door, "Mad? You good in there?" I hear Sam ask through the door.

I nod because I'm the stupidest person alive. 

"Madelaine? I know you're in there," Says Steve.

"Sorry, what?" I yell, pretending I didn't hear.

"Are you okay, dumbass?" I hear Bucky say loudly and slowly.

"I was until you spoke!" I yell back. "Just taking care of the plants!" I add to answer the questions of the people I didn't have a cute little rivalry with.

"It's been an hour!" Sam yells through the door.

"You try cleaning all those leaves by hand!" I yell back. 

"You're mentally ill," Bucky tells me.

"Yup! Now piss off, I'm busy,"

I hear footsteps walk away and go back to work cleaning leaves. The amount of dust on these beats any old thing in a movie. I could have stuck the plants in the shower, but I'm pretty sure they appreciate the effort. 

I realize I had forgotten to get fertilizer and get up, silently cussing at myself before leaving the room. Thankfully, nobody is in sight.

I get into the elevator and see myself in a mirror. I was covered in dirt from head to toe. I smile seeing my reflection. 

As I walk down the street I bump into someone, then do a double take after apologizing. She looked like my mother. I felt my chest tighten and my heart race. I pick up my pace a little and look back to see the woman following me. I walk faster.

Once I get into the store I decide I'm safe and exhale. Then I hear the door behind me and turn to see the woman reaching out to me. It was definitely her.

"You dropped this, sweetheart," She says.

I look at what's in her hand, a bank card. I shake my head, "Not mine, sorry. Don't bank with them,"

She looks at the card, "You're not Lily Smith?"

I feel my nose twitch, a nervous tic. My heart races again and all I can do is shake my head.

She leans closer to me, "I know you're my daughter," She hisses.

"I don't know you, lady! I'm just a high schooler. Why are you so interested in kids?" I loudly say, catching the attention of people around us. 

An employee walks up, looking at my mother, "Ma'am, I'm going to have to ask you to leave, you're causing a scene,"

My mother glares at me and storms out the door.

~

I check out, just getting the fertilizer. I'd have bought some plants, but I'm too stressed thanks to my darling mother.

The cashier looks at me as she hands me my bill, "Will you be alright getting home? I can call a cab for you if you need,"

I shake my head, "My dad will be here any second, but thanks so much," I lie before turning and leaving out the door. I wait a few seconds and wave, pretending I saw someone to sell my lie. Once I'm out of sight of the shop windows, I run as fast as I can down the street. I don't stop until I'm inside the tower. I take a moment to catch my breath before getting into the elevator. 

Once on my floor I hurry to the room but am stopped by a hand on my shoulder. I grab said hand and flip the person over my shoulder.

"Oops," I say, seeing Steve on the floor. "Sorry."