1 - Out of Business

My day started out no different than any other. I woke up in my little room under my shop, getting up and ready for the day. I start my day at three in the morning to start baking.

On top of my regular baking, I was making a cake for one of my regulars. He finally got a promotion he's been working hard to get for a year. His wife called in yesterday to tell me the news and I offered to host a little celebration.

So here I am, hours into my day, listening to the man tell me about his promotion. My staff and I celebrate with his small party of twelve. Regular business goes on as usual while we work. Other regulars come up to congratulate him on his promotion. I loved the little community we had.

"Thanks again, Maddy," My customer smiles at me, "It means so much that you'd do all this for little old me."

I wave my hand, "Don't mention it, man. You worked hard for this,"

His wife stands up, making a toast. I don't hear it over the sound of the steamer.

"Hey, Mad?" I hear Anna, one of my staff say, "I think I saw something outside."

"Could you elaborate on that?" I ask.

"A car went flying by, like not on the road,"

I feel my chest tighten, "I'll go look,"

I weave my way through customers to the door. I step outside and see pure chaos.

I run back inside, "Everybody out!" I yell, "Avengers are making their way down the street!"

People get up, rushing out the door. The little party group is the last out. As the man everyone had gathered to celebrate was heading out, a smart car crashed through my window, hardly missing him.

"Shit, I missed," I hear a voice say on the other side of my now broken window. I look up to see a man with a metal arm. I guess that explains how he threw a car through my window.

I realize I'm the last one inside. Then the door opens and I see Captain America. He walks up to me, and grabs my arm, "Ma'am, you need to leave," He tells me, guiding me to the door, "You're in shock, you'll be alright."

"Your good old pal just destroyed my shop," I tell him, "Don't worry about me being fine. I'm going to kill him."

~

I'm not sure where it was I ended up, but I sat there wrapped in a blanket while watching the news. I watched as ex-criminal James Buchanan Barnes destroyed my entire building with a grenade. That asshole needs to learn to throw. I feel someone sit next to me and turn to see Anna. She passes me a cup of tea.

I nod at her, trying to smile.

"You can stay here until everything is sorted out, okay?" She tells me softly.

I shake my head, "No, I'm going to kill him. Visit me in jail, will ya?"

She nods, "Yeah, of course," She's my favourite employee. For many reasons.

"I'm not joking, if I see him walking down the street, I'm going feral," I realize I'm shaking. "I don't care if he's got a metal arm or is a superhuman or whatever shit he's got. I'll take him down."

She nods, "I know you will,"

I focus my attention on the TV again. Someone is thanking the Avengers for saving the city and so many lives. I shake my head, unable to find words. How can they be thanked for so much destruction? Why can't they go fight somewhere unimportant, like Ohio? What the fuck is even there? I never should have left Brooklynn.

I stand up, "I'm going to fight him," I announce and walk off.

"Woah, what?" I hear running behind me, "How will you do that? This isn't smart."