CHAPTER 3

YEAR 2040

ELECTION YEAR

"Place is moderately secure. Cameras. Maybe we stay here." Leo says going behind the register looking at the cameras.

"Maybe we stay here? Where you going? You going back out there? Speaking of where is your daughter, Senator?... I thought she was gonna be with you. Marcos saw this morning that she was arriving today from Florida."

"Joe, do you have a first aid kit? Leo, my security, was shot. And Zaria escaped before we could, she's out there."

"I'm fine. I should go out there and look for her." Leo starts to round the register.

"You're not fine. Let me check you first then we talk."

"I'm fine."

"You're not. Sit. You want me to take it off? Why don't you listen to me? Zaria would scream at you if she were here." Charlie says making Leo sit and sigh.

"It's okay. It's nothing." He said while Charlie helps taking his suit off.

"Yeah? Doesn't look like nothing." Charlie says while Leo starts to groan and tries to rich for the first aid kit.

"Let me see. Let me see. I know a little bit about first aid. I could help you." Marcos says making Leo narrow his eyes at him before nodding a little bit.

"The bullet's deep. You need stitches."

"Yeah. No shit." Leo groans.

"But we can't do that here."

"Right. Clean it up. Patch it up. Come on. Move."

"Okay."

"Fast. Come on." Marcos starts cleaning the wound making Leo wince in pain.

"What about you guys? Who are you besides crushing on the Senator daughter." Leo groans.

"Is this necessary?" The Senator asks.

"It's very necessary. You, what's your name? Where you from?"

"Marcos Dali. Mexico City. But I've been an American citizen for two years."

"You got a record?"

"Not here."

"What did you do in Mexico?" Leo asks Marcos making him stop and look at him.

"I tried to survive."

"What are you doing out on Purge Night?"

"Protecting the deli against looters because my boss lost his Purge insurance yesterday."

"Yeah, that's something you can look into, Senator. Insurance companies screwing the working man." Joe butts in.

"What's your name, pal?" Leo asks looking at Joe.

"You know what, Mr. Secret Service Man? You should be thanking my black ass for helping you instead of interrogating me."

"His name is Joe Dixon." Charlie answers for him.

"Joe Dixon, have I offended you?"

"Yeah. Yeah, man, just a little bit."

"Your feelings are not a concern of mine."

"Little respect. That's all I need." Joe starts arguing with Leo making Charlie trying to stop the fight when Marcos shouts.

"Everyone shut up, please!"

"What?"

"Look." He points to the cameras where you can see two cars with lights and girls climbing off of them with guns laughing, singing and playing. One of the girls starts talking to the camera promising to enter the store and kill Joe.