37: Perfect preparation

Start from the beginning

"Zen'in Naoya gave the youngest Kamo daughter a drug by which to murder my heir," he said simply. "The both of them put my wife in harm's way and planned to destroy my house from the inside. I want them all dead."

"Dead, you say?" Tengen asked.

"Dead. All of them."

Tengen sighed and turned around, walking slowly back to their couch in thought. Gakuganji was silent as a frightened child.

"This is quite the conspiracy," they remarked, "how can you be sure it is true?"

"Kamo Runa can testify. She informed my wife to be cautious of tampered food and drink. My wife informed me that she had offered her a drink, hours before the witch asked me what I would do if my child had died. My wife informed Kamo Norinobu during a spat between the two. Her reaction gave it all away."

"What else?"

"Zen'in Naobito laid hands on my wife on the eve of the new year."

"Anything more?"

"His supporters attacked my estate and murdered my father."

A moment passed and Tengen sighed once again. "I have always liked y/n-san. Haven't you, as well, Yoshinobu?"

"Of course, Tengen-sama."

Tengen looked back at Satoru who was still parked on the hardwood floor. "I have heard stories of how you publicly worship your wife."

"I love her."

"Is she the reason you wish war on the Zen'in and Kamo houses?"

Yes, yes, you are. I'd kill for y/n--my y/n--I need nothing else but her safety. If I die fighting her own blood, I will think of nothing else besides her warmth, her grace, her smile. If she weeps at my grave, I will caress her in death just as I have done in this life. If I never meet my children, I will be watching them from above or below or anywhere I can see them. She is everything I have ever needed. She has given me more than I could've ever asked for.

"Yes," he affirmed, "she has saved me in ways I will never be able to thank her for. I cannot put the way I feel about her into measly words."

Tengen bowed their head slightly at Satoru before ordering Gakuganji to retrieve parchment. It was like the shogun could read him like a book. Maybe that was why they were so powerful.

"Have you anything left to say before I deliver these declarations?"

"I understand you do not take sides in battles between daimyos."

"I do not."

"If need be, may you be partial to my wife."

"I will be partial to your wife and also the secret Zen'in children you harbor," Tengen said softly, "now go home, she needs you." Satoru obeys, but he can tell his shogun wants to say one more thing, so he turns in front of the doorway. "You are aware you cross through Zen'in territory on your way back. Be sure you do not wind up dead before you reach her."

-- A DAY IN PASSING

"We shouldn't have done this," Naoya mumbles, "he's going to start a war with us."

"I don't care."

"My Lord...his army is the greatest in this country."

"As the leader of Zen'in Hei, you dare say this to me?"

Naoya pales in response. He's seen the Gojo army firsthand and from the document he'd received from their shogun, they're about to be wiped out. It is from Tengen of course, and a week into the new year where there was supposed to be peace and prosperity, there was instead war documents and missing family members.