| 14 | Angel

My bad for the delay. In ramping 'Play The Part' up to two chapters a week, it's been a lot to juggle.  But we're here with a double update!!

Chapter 14: Angel

Grandpa is the patriarch of our family. He went from an orphan of war to building a business empire out of the railroad and construction industries. I've always aspired to be something like him. 

The adventures he had, the battles he won and hardships he endured – I'll never achieve that. But to have a sliver of his courage, his luck and to die knowing he built something that will outlast him...

That's what I'd like to live for.

I wish I knew him when he was younger. He sounded like a force of nature. We used to hear all these stories of what a harsh but dynamic man he was. A man who did what he wanted and threw his middle finger up to anyone who tried to stop him. 

Now he was old and kind of resembled a teddy bear.

Soft and fluffy. To me, anyways.

My cousin Allen brushed past me, sounding surprised, "Oh Lara. Fancy seeing you here after last night."

Allen was wearing head-to-do Loro Piana, from his formal slippers to his button-down shirt and blazer combo. I knew he was desperate to goad me about any "crude" behavior, but I didn't want to give him the satisfaction.

So, after thirty awkward seconds of silence, he just continued, "I heard you got a little tipsy at Gavin's party. Is that right, cuz?"

"No, it's not right at all," I replied, "Whoever your spies are, are misinformed. Were you even there?"

"I wasn't," he chuckled, as if that party was beneath him, "I had a fencing competition this morning so getting drunk and hungover wasn't on the cards."

Suddenly, I felt someone appear behind me and extend his hand towards Allen. "Hi, Conrad is it?"

I tensed, knowing exactly who was standing this close to me, coming to my rescue. Austin's voice and his presence was electric. Or maybe I was just surprised.

Allen stiffly shook his hand, "No, my name's Alle-"

"Has anyone ever told you you look like a Conrad?" Austin asked casually, taking pleasure in being a whole foot taller than Allen and clearly in much better shape.

I watched their hands unclasp and Austin lower his.

"No."

"Well it's not too late to change."

I tried to hide the delight from my face. Austin smoothly moved from standing behind to beside me, his hand softly touching my shoulder as he moved.

Almost protectively.

I hate to admit it but, I liked it. 

And part of me wondered if he was very intentional about touching me, if he knew what he was doing with every brush.

Allen's blood began to boil, "And who invited you here? This is a family event and you-" he looked Austin up and down, eying the non-designer label on his clothes, "Are clearly not family."

"Oh, thank god," Austin faked relief, "I thought I was about to start looking down on the middle class and making everyone around me speak Spanish for no reason."

I laughed and clapped my hand over my mouth. "Sorry."

French. He means French.

Allen huffed, "I don't remember you behaving this poorly, Lara. Seems like the new stray your parents took in is a bad influence."