| 13 | Disney Channel

Chapter 13: Disney Channel

"Is everyone ready?" dad called out on the intercom, "Car's outside."

I stared at my reflection in the bedroom mirror. I was in a short black dress with black tights and a white collar. Hair slicked down with a center parting.

My inspo? Wednesday Addams.

The mirror's frame was made of bronze interwoven vines, cradling an oversized oval mirror which I was staring into. Two handbags were hanging off the vine's tendrils as I debated which one to bring.

I went with black to suit my soul and headed downstairs.

I hated dressing like this.

Lola was sitting on the floor in a pink frock with white tights, putting on her shoes. Mom stepped over her to grab a cardigan from off a wooden, branch-shaped coat hanger. 

Just as I reached the bottom of the staircase, I heard someone arrive at the top.

"Is this a costume party?" Austin's voice descended on us.

I looked up at him in jeans and a plain shirt.

"Well, at least you're wearing a shirt this time," I commented, still irritated about last night.

"I didn't realize you've been keeping track," he answered back.

I was so not over the whole 'Austin getting my mom high' incident.

My mom stepped in between us, putting her hand on my shoulder in a sign for me to stop. Probably because she didn't want my dad to find out about that whole ting.

"Sorry Austin, I thought we mentioned we're going to my parent's house for dinner tonight."

"Yeah, you mentioned that," Austin said, "Still doesn't explain why everyone's dressed for the 1960s."

Oh, he didn't get the memo.

My mom turned to us, "Why don't you all go to the car, and we'll join in just a minute?"

"You don't need to tell me twice," I muttered, happy to be the first one out.

**

We sat in a stretch black car while the driver took us to Clementel Manor, the home of my mother and her uptight family.

A very different world to our beach house life. 

I usually hate our family dinners but with Austin joining us, I was very open minded to this one. I don't know why, but I enjoy watching his reactions, hearing his commentary. And because I'm sure grandpa was going to eat him alive. 

Well, maybe with a bit of seasoning.

Caviar, most likely.

At least Austin looked good. My mom had convinced him to change into black pants and wear a button-down shirt. Probably, the only one he owned. 

Austin sat in the back of the car in his new outfit, reading something on his phone.

A departure from his surfer look, but I kind of liked it. 

"Psst," Harlow whispered, "You're staring."

oops

**

Clementel Manor was a gigantic structure in a large enclosed space.  The garden was so large you could barely see the gates that protected the entrance.