CHAPTER 5 : Ashram

Start from the beginning

"No-No, please. I'm alright." I said.

"Are you sure-?" She asked.

"Yes, of course," I answered back with a smile.

"Okay, so I'm going to see Gurudev if he needs something. Until then you should rest." She said tapping on my shoulders and smiling at me, as she went away in the direction of Gurudev, and I sat down there alone in pain. My vision blurred as tears filled my eyes once again, now coming down my eyelids. I cried quietly for a while, trying to stay as calm as I could. Glancing at the mark Ashwattama concocted on my wrist twice this day, and eventually at my twisted ankle.

Hearing someone coming I instantly wiped off my tears, sitting confidently on the gravel.

"Here, apply it on your ankle, it will heal soon." Said Ashwattama giving me some kind of liniment in a big leaf, smelling weird. I took it from his hand, and he sat in front of me at a space, loosening up his body a bit.

The sunlight had gone, and darkness had engulfed us. Some lights were visible from a far distance, and we sat in silence near the well, I applied the ointment and he relaxed. Soon after we were joined in by Gurudev and Devpriya didi as we proceeded with the dinner and slept there for the night.

* * *

The next day was spent walking along the terrains, as we attained the dry and dusty plains of river Yamuna, we were almost near Hastinapur. I peered at the sudden change of environment at daybreak, to see the Jamun trees and great clumps of trailing vines give the forest darkness and density which adds to its mystery.

"I have heard the Jamuns of Hastinapur are very sweet." I heard Devpriya didi from behind.

"We haven't reached Hastinapur yet Putri." Said Gurudev walking ahead of all of us.

"There are trees I can see of Jamun, I want to taste them." She said once again acting innocent all of a sudden. She looked at Ashwattama with a compassionate face, making a little pout trying to act cute, but she eventually was given side-eyes by him, as he dismissed his call and began again walking upon his horse.

"Nihira, won't you get some Jamun for your elder sister-?" Let out Devpriya didi with sham devotion and admiration showing off in her voice.

"Didi, stop it- we aren't at home," I said.

"So-it's your duty to fulfil your elder sister's wish isn't it." She said.

"Fine-I'm getting some for you," I said trying to stop Megh from strolling, comprehending how to get down appeared easier now, and the ointment given by Ashwattama worked. I felt better this morning as I slowly but finally got down from Megh, patting him for being patient with me.

I saw Ashwattama had traversed our way before, and we both stood there alone, as I walked through the scrubs and thorns along the trail of Jamun trees, looking up at the tree and seeing a bunch of Jamuns I could smell that tangy scent of the fruit. But they were high up the tree, much above my height. I hopped upon my place, trying to get a handful of them but all in vain.

'Let me try once again.' I said jumping again to reach the fruit, but incapable of fetching them down.

"OoF-Nihira, you can't even do a thing." I heard Devpriya Didi's voice as she stood on the horse, combing her long black hair and applying flowers to them. Meanwhile, I tried to catch up with the branch of the tree. I gave her a disgruntled look and started again fetching those fruits, jumping grandly than the first time, i got some leaves in my hand and threw them onto the ground i once again flinched until I was broken in by a hand that eventually broke off the whole bunch of Jamun's in one go.

Turning behind, I bumped into Ashwattama, who stood just behind me with the whole branch of the tree in his hands, I looked at him. He was tall and had a profound look on his face. He tied a cotton cloth upon his forehead, and he looked straight into my eyes, with a tiny smile over his lips. We stood there for a second looking at each other his eyes were deep and calm. And he looked more stunning and immaculate from this close, I was broken in from my thoughts and I glanced down, while my cheeks were red and an obligatory smile leading over my lips, hitting him on his chest and getting away from him.

"Get away from me," I said crossing him and running back to Devpriya didi. I stood there for a while, looking at me as I ran towards Megh.

He handed over the Jamuns to Devpriya didi and we moved with our journey. I sat quietly on megh, trying to process what just happened. Why was he looking at me like that-? I thought. My cheeks turn red once again, but I shoo away the thoughts thinking how he has been behaving toward me for two days. I tried to ignore his thoughts and concentrated on the journey.

We had passed into the perimeters of Kuru Kingdom, the air was distinct here. It was more free and full of hospitality. we nearly reached the Aashram, I could see the populace. Some of the men were cutting wood meanwhile some of them had clambered upon the trees. The whole ashram was enclosed by trees, all of the greens. It coated a large area, certainly.

Aashram was a busy place, it had some royal tents at one end, and a hut at the other. A big banyan tree on one side and a large field in between are congested by several students from different areas. As we entered the ashram, we were greeted by several students, everyone glanced at both of us with a strange reaction. I felt bizarre.

I saw two groups of boys standing in the foyer, i tried not to look at them and began again looking the the big banyan tree until one of them spoke.

"Pranipath Gurudev. I hope the journey was comfortable." Said one of the boys who looked bigger in age, with golden jewellery and a decent smile on his face. He had a brawny arms.

"Kalyan ho Yudhishtira." Said Gurudev from his horse. I hurried enlightenment of notions transpired in my mind as I recalled the name I just listened to.

Yudhishtira-???

Hello, please do vote and comment as that's my instant source of motivation

Hello, please do vote and comment as that's my instant source of motivation.😭😭💗

Thank you so much for reading :)