⁴⁶, FAITH AND CHANGE

ابدأ من البداية

  "And what about all of this?" Gabriel asked.

  "The world ending?" She clarified, "I don't think it's an act of God if that's what you're asking. I don't know what it is. But what I do know, is it doesn't change the fact that I believe He's real. That's just what I believe."

Vex shrugged as if the words she'd spoken weren't nearly as heavy as they were, taking another bite of baked beans on her plate.

"Get some food," Vex nodded, "Give our people a chance. You never know what might come of it."

Vex stood, patting his shoulder as she departed, a smile falling onto her face as she spotted Zeppelin squished into Daryl's side, the two sitting on the ground, leaning against the side of a pew, speaking sporadically in between bites.

"Hey, baby," Vex smiled, ruffling Zeppelin's hair as she claimed a spot on the ground beside her. "You get enough to eat?"

"Mhm," Zeppelin smiled, "I think if we keep eatin' like this, I'll be taller than you soon."

Vex smiled at the idea, wrapping an arm around her daughter.

"Hey, I had a question for y'all," Zeppelin said, sitting up straighter.

Vex furrowed her brows, glancing at Daryl who was clearly just as confused as she was.

"What's goin' on, Zep?" Daryl asked, looking at the girl.

Zeppelin looked at her plate for a moment, pushing baked beans around on the ceramic dish before speaking.

"Well. . . I was just. . . I been thinkin' about Bethie a lot. . ."

A frown carved its way onto Vex's face instantly.

"I was just wondering if you guys think. . . that maybe we would find her again."

Of course, Vex wanted to say. Of course, they would find Beth and she would be fine and everything would go back to normal.

But she didn't know. Because they didn't know who had taken her or why or where she might be. Because the group had been so focused on surviving they couldn't fathom going on a manhunt without a single clue as to where to begin.

"If she's out there, we'll find her."

Zeppelin looked at Daryl quickly, but his eyes were focused on his plate, picking at the small remnants of food left.

"You think?"

"Yeah."

The girl smiled weakly, understanding this was the only assurance she would gain in the moment. But it was enough. To know her hope wasn't alone, at least.

"I think I'm gonna get more corn," Zeppelin said, "Do you need anything, Mom?"

"No, honey, I'm alright."

Zeppelin nodded, pushing herself up and approaching the food once again.

Vex set her plate on the ground beside her, resting her head back against the pew as she watched her daughter elbow in between Dean and Abraham, the men both unable to hold back smiles as she spoke.

"You know, I didn't know how close she was with Beth."

"As close as she is with Dean and Maggie," Vex nodded, "But I think she had that. . . Beth was closer to her age but still old enough that there was adoration there, you know? Zep wanted to be like her, dress like her-- she's the reason Zep got into drawing."

Daryl only nodded.

"She changed something in you, didn't she? Beth, I mean."

He let out a grunt, but Vex scooted closer to him, her arm pressing up against his own.